• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quoting a print job

Chasez

Hi everyone,

Sort of new to the printing portion of the industry but really having issues butting heads with
My boss on the pricing for the past year and we're starting to work for next to nothing.

We have 2 printers and we've had some large print jobs but now that I've been brought up more
into the pricing portions I feel that we're charging alot less than
We should be. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any starting points as how to price
A printes job.

What my boss does is juat give a rough sq/ft price guessing on what our costs
Would be... We're quoteing a job that is roughly 10k sq/ft of print and he
Is giving a $7/sqft price to supply/print/install the job. Just our material
Cost alone is about $1/sqft, then we have to have about 10k sqft of print (no lam)
Then trim the top/bottom of the prints (works out to 15 rolls at 150ft) then install
It all.

I figured that thw $7/sqft was too low and I would figure it should be up
Around the $10/sqft range. With all the work that is involved, the material costs,
Ink costs, time to setup files for printing, time to trim then install..

Now o know everyone is different, and varys by material, location, overhead costs etc.
But for a starting point i would find out all my costs, then figure out a profit margin. Am i out to lunch
On my reasoning behind my pricing or would i spot of be going in the right direction.

Main reason of my posting is thay in the past we have done some print jobs that were up
In the 30k price range and after covering our costs were only walking away
With about 5k profit.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Chaz

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something like this, you should probably ask Fred to move it to the pricing section to help protect you and others from numbers being tossed around that anyone can see in this category.

MikePro

that's a lotta installed vinyl with quite a slim margin of profit.
hope everything goes up without issue... AND without lamination? you deserve a beer if you can pull it off!

Chasez

Something like this, you should probably ask Fred to move it to the pricing section to help protect you and others from numbers being tossed around that anyone can see in this category.

I didnt even notice a pricing category... How do I get it moved?

Chaz

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didnt even notice a pricing category... How do I get it moved?

Chaz

Not to worry. Looks like he took care of it already.

Whenever you have some kinda problem with the site or a member, you can PM Fred who is the owner/admins guy, here.

DirtyD

I wouldn't price it the way you guys are I would price it as line items..

Material + labor
Install

I wouldn't give a single sqft cost...If they want a sqft cost then give them a sqft cost and inform them you cost blank an hour

2B

I wouldn't price it the way you guys are I would price it as line items..

Material + labor
Install

I wouldn't give a single sqft cost...If they want a sqft cost then give them a sqft cost and inform them you cost blank an hour

+1

Design
Product
Installation

These are all separate lines and shouldn't combined (when helped)

to answer you price when you have to know what your overhead is then you can price. There are several threads already about how to price.

not knowing the material you are using or the full specs of the project but from the numbers you have listed you are too low on pricing

http://thesignexpert.com/sign-pricing-calculators/ will help
also start looking at other shops in your area or google search the faceless online companies and see what your compare.

boxerbay

thats why he is the boss and your the employee. stfu and start trimming the job. :)

your guessing at what a job should sell for without knowing all the costs and mitigating circumstances.

focus on YOUR responsibilities and whenever and if you do become the boss then you can all the shots.

right now your just being a PITA to your boss.

basically you say 10K sq ft @ $7.00 = $70,000 contract. stfu and do the hampsterdance.
using 3M ij180 which i highly doubt ~ $1.00psqft = 10Ksqftx$1.50 with ink = $15,000

70K - 15K = $55K

you should be high fiveing your boss because he has secured your employment for the next couple months instead of challenging his pricing.

thats why he is the boss and your the employee. stfu and start trimming the job. :)