• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rapid Remover

I did a Trans-am eagle install this weekend. The vinyl was old, and the clear premask was stuck so hard to the decal, I had to install it dry. It created some bubbles, but no big deal. When I removed the premask it left a bunch of glue, so I wiped it up with Rapid Remover, and then cleaned with Rapid Tac. After it dried, I noticed it discolored the vehicle all around the decal. I've never seen this happen - hopefully it can be buffed out. Has anyone seen this before? I've contacted the manufacture - waiting to hear

20230820_121841.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
It hasn't happened to me but on a newly painted car my alcohol seemed to change the color of the door slightly. It buffed out with no issues.

JBurton

Signtologist
Add more rapid tac and buff. Don't reuse paper towels. Once you think you've gotten all the oily-nes off, follow up with alcohol.
If it were just a sign, I'd say buff it all with rapid remover until you have an even finish, then follow up with rapid tac and alcohol. Being a vehicle, I'd be hesitant.
May even want to try one of those clay bars.

MikePro

rapid remover is not known for damaging paint or clearcoat, unlike GooGone which definitely does.
$5 says it merely blemished the wax coating that hopefully won't inhibit the longevity of your decal. I'd just buff gently around the area with rapid remover & follow with isopropyl or soapy water to cleanup, to even-out the spots, and a re-wax of the vehicle should do the rest at their leisure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps, something was already on the vehicle and what you did might've contaminated the wax or treatment already on it. Try a place somewhere else on the car and do a little spot and use the same sequence of chemicals and see if it does it again. If not, the owner might have something on the hood area for added protection and you caused a reaction of some kind.