• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Refinishing Copper

I have a large project coming up that involves several outdoor signs with copper cabinets.

The client would like some of the copper cabinets remade because they are dented and the others in good condition need to be refinished.
I would have to strip off the clear coat that is currently on them and reseal with a new clear sealant.

I'm not sure what to use to strip the finish off without harming the copper sheeting or what the best sealant for copper would be.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

letterman7

Are you sure they are copper and not just painted or anodized? It would be very unusual to have a sign cabinet made from real copper - it's too soft. If it is, indeed, real copper, an aircraft stripper will take the clear off - it will also discolor the copper, which you'll need to polish back up again. Then clean really well before applying a two part clear over top.

Yes, they're definitely copper. It's a high end corporation. They have it inside and out. Amazing amount of it. It's been refinished before but not by me.
Thanks for the reply.