• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replicated Worn-Off Hand Lettering

mim

0_o
I did this job recently and I thought it was pretty cool. Curious what others think. The goal was to replicate worn off painted lettering with vinyl. The old timer at my job said only real sign painters will know what I got wrong, can you tell? :big laugh: (kinda dreading finding out all the other things I might've done wrong haha)

Attachments

• image_50397697.JPG
    image_50397697.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 282
  • image_50419457.JPG
    image_50419457.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 245

tulsagraphics

Looks good! Not sure what he meant by that comment, but I'd guess that's it's missing cracks... and maybe lighten the red a bit.

Attachments

• Photoshop_79rGim3yhM.png
    Photoshop_79rGim3yhM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mim

Johnny Best

Since 1985 is after the Gerber vinyl cutter came out, The truck door paint would not be so shiny and a little more faded, But, nicly done on making it look like old worn out hand lettering,

• Agree
Reactions: mim

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The font choice for the city and state is cringeworthy. Too bad there wasn't a few more lines of text, could have given you more chances on font selections....

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It might look like time-worn hand lettering if it looked like hand lettering, which it does not, and it was originally painted with a whisk broom.

mim

0_o
It might look like time-worn hand lettering if it looked like hand lettering, which it does not, and it was originally painted with a whisk broom.

That's essentially what the old timer had to say haha. He said that when you do hand lettering you always cross the ends of the letters with a brush stroke in the opposite direction. The more you know :p
The font choice for the city and state is cringeworthy. Too bad there wasn't a few more lines of text, could have given you more chances on font selections....

My only participation was in making it look old and the application, so no comment haha

Looks good! Not sure what he meant by that comment, but I'd guess that's it's missing cracks... and maybe lighten the red a bit.

Thanks! He meant that the style looks worn but it doesn't match how a painter would actually go about painting letters. I'm also kicking myself right now for not thinking of adding cracks :doh: that edit you did looks great, noted for next time.

JWitkowski

I did this job recently and I thought it was pretty cool. Curious what others think. The goal was to replicate worn off painted lettering with vinyl. The old timer at my job said only real sign painters will know what I got wrong, can you tell? :big laugh: (kinda dreading finding out all the other things I might've done wrong haha)
Another sad day for us old-time signwriters...

tulsagraphics

That's essentially what the old timer had to say haha. He said that when you do hand lettering you always cross the ends of the letters with a brush stroke in the opposite direction. The more you know :p

My only participation was in making it look old and the application, so no comment haha

Thanks! He meant that the style looks worn but it doesn't match how a painter would actually go about painting letters. I'm also kicking myself right now for not thinking of adding cracks :doh: that edit you did looks great, noted for next time.