• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Resizing In Flexi or Lxi

lkt1954

We have both flexi 8.6 and lxi 8.? (don't remember) in our shop and I have a question concerning them and resizing files.

Over the last year our vehicle lettering business has really grown and we now have 12 vehicles to letter in a short period of time, they are 2 different jobs. To help out and make things easier I purchased a 6 month subscription to pro vehicle outlines. All their plans are a 1/20 scale and according to their instructions to get to actual size simply enlarge the outline by 2000%. In lexi, I cannot find out how to enlarge by percentages only by increasing either the length or width. First question in either program can I enlarge by percentages and if so how and the second question if I take for example the length and multiply it by 20 (1/20 x 20= 100%) will that be the same and keep my vehicle dimensions accurate?

Thanks
Larry

skyhigh

yep, do it on your calculator.
As for the outlines, I found them "close", but not what I would go by if sizing is critical.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The command in Flexi (and I assume LXI) is Arrange > Resize. The keyboard shortcut is Control+K. When executed on a selected object or a selected group of objects, you will see percentage boxes appear in the Design Central module.

skyhigh

Ahhhh my bad.
I'm running the 8.(something) on my other computer. This one has the older 6.7 (maybe), and that is not a feature in design central (unless I'm missing something).

I'll have to check that out myself. Thanks Fred.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ahhhh my bad.
I'm running the 8.(something) on my other computer. This one has the older 6.7 (maybe), and that is not a feature in design central (unless I'm missing something).

I'll have to check that out myself. Thanks Fred.

I think the Control+K command was present in version 5. It is possible that it was taken away in version 6 and reinstated in version 7. I'd be curious to know what happens if you enter Control+K in your version 6.7.

skyhigh

nothing happens.

I usually always have "design central" open. I thought maybe I'd close it, and that would do something different when I did Control K (grabbing for straws). All that did was open DC like it always is.

skyhigh

this

Attachments

• ctrl K.jpg
    ctrl K.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 185

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
nothing happens.

I usually always have "design central" open. I thought maybe I'd close it, and that would do something different when I did Control K (grabbing for straws). All that did was open DC like it always is.

I'm fairly certain then that the scaling/resizing feature was dropped when Scanvec took over Amiable and version 6 was released. It was heavily influenced by what Scanvec thought was important. After the employee buyout of Scanvec, version 7's Amiable influence returned along with that particular feature.

lkt1954

Thanks for the information. I will give this a try later this morning. On the outlines, we are using this to create lettering and I always try and keep my lettering a couple of inches from door edges, inset panels edges ,etc so being close should work here.

Thanks adain you'll

Larry

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
In Flexi you can use percentages..... Just make sure propotional is checked. Then put the percentage you want WITH the percent symbol. Works fine - just enter the percentage in the width box like shown. This is in 8.6v2 if it matters but I think this still works in version 10 too.

Attachments

• Untitled-1s.jpg
    Untitled-1s.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 163

signage

I don't know why you guys keep bring this up, do you know that you can do the math right in those boxes? US the *, /, + & - right in the boxes, it does the calculations for you!

skyhigh

a little clearer would be to put the cursor behind one of the measurement in design central, then hold shift 8 then enter 20 (in this case), then hit enter.

skyhigh

I felt compelled to give credit where its due. "Signage" showed me 2 ways to scale 1/20 up to full size in my older 6.7 software. The newer 8.6 has "percentages" right in design central (after you hit ctrl k), where as the older software has the capability, its not as obvious

Based off a 2" circle, there are two ways to scale up the 1/20 model
1) Top pic, you would simply add *20 behind the 2.000in........ 2.000in*20 (2x20)
2) Or, you can backspace out the 2.000in and replace it with...... 2000%

Either way gives me a 40" circle.

THANKS SIGNAGE....for showing me a couple new tricks
THANKS FRED.....for the tip on ctrl K

Attachments

• signage.jpg
    signage.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 191

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Like I said - as far as I know you have always been able to simply type the percentage in with the % sign. Although I only went back as far as version 6 if I remember right. Any other way just seems more complicated to me. If I want 2000% enlargement I type exactly that.

CS-SignSupply

+1 SightLine.

Also, if you want to save as PDF from older version, simply download and use PrimoPDF (here) or something similar... Works like a champ.

skyhigh

Like I said - as far as I know you have always been able to simply type the percentage in with the % sign. Although I only went back as far as version 6 if I remember right. Any other way just seems more complicated to me. If I want 2000% enlargement I type exactly that.

Sightline, in my 8.6 when I hit the ctrl K like Fred said, it shows me the % boxes also. The pic you posted did not.

Either way, I did not know that........ THANKS.
I will mention, I like Signages method better (*20)....for my simple brain.

signage

Sightline the way I listed can be used for any resizing, scaling or moving. what it does is the math right within the software rather than using something else. In your example you would have 6 keystrokes to achieve the same out come that only took 4 keystrokes in my example.