• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland IU 1000F Flatbed, Chipping Of Ink when cut on Bescutter C02 Laser

Brooker

I am a production manager at a medium sized Graphic Shop, We currently run a couple printers, Solvent and UV Roll to Roll printers, but we have one flat bed printer the Roland IU 1000F. I am looking to replace it because of some issues we continuously have with no fixes from Roland when we get them out here, but besides that our main issue is the chipping of ink. We use adhesion promoter the AP3155 promoter, but we can only use it on some of our prints. We produce a lot of ADA signs 1st surface and that seems to be where a lot of our chipping issues come from. After the signs have been printed and cut when we are building them the ink seems so fragile the slightest mess up with running your finger on the edge or accidently knocking two signs together will cause the ink to chip. We currently run out prints with several layers of ink our print order goes like this for a normal ADA sign
1st layer Primer
2nd layer a black and white layer
3rd layer another black and white layer (we do this to block out the back side so when we put tape on the back so you can not see through it)
4th layer Color
5th layer we use the gloss to build up the lettering and braille
6th layer color thrown over the gloss lettering and braille

I have thought about replacing the 2nd and 3rd layer with just a double layer of white so we can reduce the amount of total layers by 2 but still achieve the block out so you do not see tape on the backside of the sign.
I was curious if anyone has found any solutions for chipping of ink, we currently print on Optixx Digital Acrylic and use the adhesion promoter as long as it is not a window sign because the adhesion promoter when it dries leaves streaks in the transparent part of the sign.