• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland Printing Specks on Reflective vinyls

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
I have a Roland TruVis VG3-540 and I am having trouble with printing on Reflective. The vinyl I am printing on is Avery Dennison's T6500 Series. I have printed on this stuff in the past and this is not the first time I have come across this issue. I have had some issues with this vinyl printing and it continues to print specks like this even though I clean the vinyl with Denatured Alcohol and a clean Microfiber rag. These little specks just keep getting on my reflective materials and I cannot understand why. I don't know if it has something to do with Avery Dennison's T6500 Reflective, if the printer has specks on the heads, or if Roland recommends a different reflective to print on like 3M or Oracal reflectives. Avery Dennison did say they did not recommend their reflectives to be printed on Roland because they haven't been tested yet. However, it can but Avery Dennison says it is not warranted for use in the traffic and safety sign market. Is there a way to make this vinyl print without these little specks?
IMG_2093 (1).jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I take it you don't have a UV printer to run these on instead?

There's a reason Avery won't recommend solvent printing this stuff - it doesn't have a coating that is receptive to accepting solvent ink.

Even printing on non-printable engineer grade reflective is a crapshoot sometimes, I would imagine that material's even worse.

Have you considered going the clear overlay route? (Print color/graphics on clear film then laminate to your blank reflective film)

trafficbarriersolutions

I take it you don't have a UV printer to run these on instead?

There's a reason Avery won't recommend solvent printing this stuff - it doesn't have a coating that is receptive to accepting solvent ink.

Even printing on non-printable engineer grade reflective is a crapshoot sometimes, I would imagine that material's even worse.

Have you considered going the clear overlay route? (Print color/graphics on clear film then laminate to your blank reflective film)
I do have ElectroCut and Regular Oracal vinyls to go over reflective. ElectroCut vinyls can shine through the reflective easliy. Likewise, it is possible to put printed Oracal White Vinyl over the reflective of any color, it just won't show the reflective in those spots. Like, I know there are reflectives that can be printed using Eco-Solvent based ink because it is a form of Digital Printing like Latex. The question is, what reflectives are recommended for Roland printers?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I do have ElectroCut and Regular Oracal vinyls to go over reflective. ElectroCut vinyls can shine through the reflective easliy. Likewise, it is possible to put printed Oracal White Vinyl over the reflective of any color, it just won't show the reflective in those spots. Like, I know there are reflectives that can be printed using Eco-Solvent based ink because it is a form of Digital Printing like Latex. The question is, what reflectives are recommended for Roland printers?
Eco-solvent is not the same as latex...

trafficbarriersolutions

I believe that Roland offers a traffic signage system with their eco-solvent TrueVis printer:

So is there a reason why there are Specks in the reflective being printed on Avery Dennison? Can it print specks on ORALITE 5900? Also, I do use Flexi and SAI so how do I download TrafficWorks to SAI or FlexiSign? I also have VersaWorks.

Last edited: