• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sales checklist

niksagkram

Hi. When taking an order from a client, do any of you use a printed "checklist" to make sure no steps in the process are missed? The reason I ask is we recently built a couple of 3'x12' signcans for a client, and the day we were supposed to install them, he called and said we can't, because his lease/landlord require formed signs/channel letters.We've been in the business long enough to know that this is sometimes the case, but in this case the question wasn't asked. A simple "cheat sheet" could have prevented this.

What type of questions would you, or do you, put on this checklist? Just curious.

Mark

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if that would come to relying on a cheat sheet or not. We have cheat sheets for all kinds of things and we almost always find loopholes in it. I was out on a job the other day and didn't have a simple bracket on the truck because it's something new we just started carrying, so I had to improvise. Now, my problem was solved by just using some common sense and ingenuity, but your problem is different.

Had we quoted, received signed and dated quotes back along with the required deposits, drawings back & forth, made the cans, discussed layouts and designs, made them and ready to instal them..... THEN they lay on you about something they never told you, that's on them. I hate to say it, but this sounds like it's gonna be some trouble, unless you stand your ground firmly. Your problem is your customer left out one very important step of the entire process. HIS permission.

Sometimes we do discuss things with landlords and many times we find things out and hafta renegotiate with the customer, but it's not your job to know every possible obstacle waiting around the corner because someone else screwed up.

In this case, they might say.... when you were here taking measurements and getting pictures for the survey and permits, didn't you notice what everyone else had ?? You can say, yeah, but I thought you read your own mall manual and had this accounted for before ordering wrong.

Keep all conversations to the idea.... he did wrong and his stoopidness does not reflect on your ability to read minds. This is his problem and unless he gets his landlord to agree to put them up as is.... he just made a very expensive mistake. DO NOT take any responsibility for his mistakes, unless you did know going in.... it was wrong.

Good Luck.............​

watchdaride

Say your putting some graphics on a retail store in a plaza and you see no other store has graphics . Do u take the $1K order sign a contract or tell him to check with the landlord on the plaza rules first . MO money or ethical business with no money !

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
ALWAYS... ALWAYS... ALWAYS... get a landlord sign-off

But prior to that... ALWAYS ASK IF THE PROPERTY HAS A SIGN CRITERIA.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with both of you, if I were at a mall, shopping center or some other obvious place, but I got the impression this was just a building where it wasn't a known factor.

niksagkram

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, the customer admits he is wrong, and was willing to pay for his mistake, however, we were able to re-sell the signcans, so we just charged him for graphics, which were already printed, and some labour to cover the time spent getting it together.

As for the "cheat sheet", using something like that at the initial customer contact, or consult, would probably save a lot of headaches, both for us AND the client. The client just wants a sign, and is not always aware of all the ins and outs of the process, such as architectural guidelines, permits etc... and it's a good opportunity to educate them, and look more "professional". :)

Mark

niksagkram

I agree with both of you, if I were at a mall, shopping center or some other obvious place, but I got the impression this was just a building where it wasn't a known factor.

It is a stand alone building, in a new shopping complex, with many building still under construction. Just one of those learning experiences for everyone involved, I suppose. :)