• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Save As" or "Print" PDF?

Colin

To save an open CDR (X5) file as a PDF, is it best to do a "Save As" or "Print" to create the file? Or is there no difference?

AUTO-FX

Colin, is the resulting file size identical?
Do you have "save" options one way and not the other?
I am curious as well - thinking about purchasing X5

CanuckSigns

I use publish to PDF, there are a few options depending on your desired use of the file (prepress, document distribution, web etc.)

Colin

Colin, is the resulting file size identical?

I just now did a test, and the "Save As" version is about the same KB size as the "Publish to PDF" version, and the "Print" version is about half the KB size.

Do you have "save" options one way and not the other?

Not sure what you mean.

AUTO-FX

Colin, that last option saves as PDF to 8.5 x 11 page size I'll bet. That's why it's smaller. This is something you would normally have control of in your "save as" options.

Colin

Colin, that last option saves as PDF to 8.5 x 11 page size I'll bet. That's why it's smaller. This is something you would normally have control of in your "save as" options.

I don't think so. They all open as an 8.5x11

AUTO-FX

That should be one of your "save as" options Colin. Save as letter page size or save as design size.

To clarify - after you select "save as" and then "PDF" you should then have saving options, like "save to full size" or "downsample images" etc...

Last edited:

Roto

Select what you want to PDF then Ctrl+E for export tick the box for selected only and then set you options and click OK... this will create a PDF to the size of your artwork, works like a charm.

Roto

2NinerNiner2

+1 for Publish to PDF :)

PS > Colin, will be out for the holidays with Mom and sis, so we should grab a coffee at some point :)

Cheers!
Lyle