• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shaded Shadow?

In the process of studying Jersey Style truck lettering, I stumbled across this job by Cranberry Signcraft. If you haven't seen their website, it is definitely worth checking out- they do some amazing work. But this particular job reminded me of a truck I saw at the fire show a couple months ago. It had gold leaf with this same shaded/gradient shadow, and it was digitally printed. I am fairly positive that this cannot be done in flexi, but I don't even know how it would be done in illustrator? I tried some google and YouTube searches and came up empty handed. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this effect?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 155

OldPaint

IAM SURE.......that can achieved in FLEXI.... you just dont know how......i can do that in COREL/ILLY ART & LETTERS.... and many other sign prgrams. 5 minute in corel......most of that was looking for a font)))

Attachments

• hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 138
IAM SURE.......that can achieved in FLEXI.... you just dont know how......i can do that in COREL/ILLY ART & LETTERS.... and many other sign prgrams. 5 minute in corel......most of that was looking for a font)))

I should have been more specific with my question. The actual shadow is no problem, I can do any form of that in flexi. It is the gradient/shadowed fill within the shadow that I am trying to figure out. I know it is an old sign painter style that I've seen quite a bit on fire apparatus. I just haven't been able to figure out how to digitally reproduce it.

sardocs

To get the shaded effect on the drop shadow in Coreldraw, I would first make the dropshadow as in Oldpaints example. Then use the simplify function to trim the underlying section away. Break the shade apart into separate objects. These pieces can then be shaded using the fountain fill tool.

To get the shaded effect on the drop shadow in Coreldraw, I would first make the dropshadow as in Oldpaints example. Then use the simplify function to trim the underlying section away. Break the shade apart into separate objects. These pieces can then be shaded using the fountain fill tool.

Sounds like another reason for me to buy Corel... haha. I have been playing with it in Illustrator. Using 3D Extrude I can extrude it and then get the shading pretty much like what is in the picture. It is a little rough, but I'm no Illustrator expert. I haven't found any way to make it happen in Flexi yet.

sardocs

I can't get illustrator to even draw a rectangle. For me Corel is so intuitive it almost seems like cheatin'.

Davidford7

I should have been more specific with my question. The actual shadow is no problem, I can do any form of that in flexi. It is the gradient/shadowed fill within the shadow that I am trying to figure out. I know it is an old sign painter style that I've seen quite a bit on fire apparatus. I just haven't been able to figure out how to digitally reproduce it.

I don't think it's a gradient fill. It looks more like a lighting effect. The darker areas are where the light is not as bright on the extrude. Don't think of the blue as a shadow. It is a 3d extension (extrude) of the letter.

Last edited:
I can't get illustrator to even draw a rectangle. For me Corel is so intuitive it almost seems like cheatin'.

I'm going to take the plunge and get it. I do most of my work in flexi, but I have been trying to force myself to learn Illustrator, and it seems like every time I end up frustrated. But for those that may stumble across this thread and want to know how to do this in Illustrator... after some trial and error I got this:
View attachment Sellers Shade.pdf
Basically, you have to duplicate your text and create an outline by offsetting the path. Then duplicate the offset path layer, and go to 3D extrude. From there, it is pure trial and error. I set the perspective to 0 and the extrude to 1 and -1. Then increase the extrude depth and play with the shading controls at the bottom, and somehow you may eventually get something like I got. Haha.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Corel, less than 2 minutes.

Create the text.

Use the Extrusion tool to create the basic solid color shadow then use the Extrusion Light Source dialog to position a couple of light sources.. You could tune this forever, I was trying for quick and dirty.

shadow.jpg

Corel, less than 2 minutes.

Create the text.

Use the Extrusion tool to create the basic solid color shadow then use the Extrusion Light Source dialog to position a couple of light sources.. You could tune this forever, I was trying for quick and dirty.

View attachment 99283

That is exactly what I am looking for! My trial version of Corel is downloading now....

OldPaint

good idea to get corel.....if you got FLEXI........there is a option in it...
MAKE YOUR DESKTOP LOOK LIKE COREL........... dont see one for illustrator))))))
as a corel user since 92........i been in business and using a computer since then.........IT IS ALL I USE.........2-3 times since 92........have i ever needed something other then COREL!!!!

DesireeM

My vote for illustrator here - using "extrude and bevel" under "Effects" as well as the "Map Art" in the same tool to add the texture to the face. Nice smooth gradients.

Attachments

• 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 146
I'm not saying that you couldn't achieve a similar effect in the program of your choice using bevel, emboss or extrude but looking at the original example closely, I think it was probably done manually in corel or illustrator. Using the built in functions may get you close enough for what you want but if you really want to duplicate that it's probably a combination of gradients and or blends to achieve that effect.

~Chris

This was done in Flexi 10.5 with Alien Skin Eye Candy 7, took about 1 minute.

That looks great! Just a couple of questions... I downloaded the trial version of the Alien Skin Eye Candy a few months ago and it seemed to work great with Adobe, but I could never get it to work in Flexi. How are you making that happen? Is the engine turned gold you used also from Alien Skin?

thewvsignguy

Thanks.

When installing Alien Skin it needs to go in the program files/sai/adobe plug in

If installed correctly it will be under the bitmap menu then down to adobe filters

Yes the engine turn and shadow are both from alien skin.

Attachments

• SS Flexi AS EY7.jpg
    SS Flexi AS EY7.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 118

J Hill Designs

maybe if it was the same effect it would be 5 minutes, but this is completely different.