• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shadow Help

dirt23

I use flexi and can't figure out how to create these inside shadows, I have Photoshop and illustrator but I'm not too fluent with those. Any help is appreciated 1427847029611-1371301698.jpg

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
In the image you show those shadows appear to be merely multiple objects. You can see the bit of sloppiness on the two inside corners shown. There's any number of ways to create them. Multiple inlines on the white fill, drop shadows on the red outline, etc.

dirt23

Tried for a few hours yesterday to no avail, this has to be a applied effect just can't find the way

Andriy

You could offset the letter, move it in the lower layer and change the color of the "shadow"... The one that's in your picture appears to have 2 light sources so you would have to do that by hand if it's indeed what you want and not a mistake on whoever created that art.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Here, 5 minutes with Corel. Just a letter with a couple of contours and some judicious trimming.

K_shadow.jpg

Wow this design is getting very pricy. Couple of hours trying to make a shadow on a letter. And we haven't even made it to the rest of the sign yet.

dirt23

Thanks for the help Bob, and others i'll keep playing around with it..practice makes perfect they say

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help Bob, and others i'll keep playing around with it..practice makes perfect they say

Not necessarily. I've heard people learning to play drums and years after, they never sounded any good..... not to mention violin players :frustrated:

Some things will make you better, but you have to be willing to put in the due diligence to make things happen.

rjssigns

Not too complicated to do in Illustrator.

Directions for Mac

Type lettering
Convert to Outlines: Command/Shift/O (letter O)
Offset Path to outside. Whatever size necessary.
Use Direct Select Tool(white arrow) to select all the inner paths.
Make a Copy of the selected paths. Option/Click/Drag (these will become your shadow line)
Go back to your original lettering and select everything.
Pathfinder Tool: Click on Minus Front Option. This will leave the outside of the letter.
Now go to the copy of the paths you made and use a negative value and Offset Path again
Select all and use Pathfinder Minus Front Option. This will give you an outline shadow.
Make as many copies/colors of this as you wish.
Be sure to place them behind your main color.