• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign engineering software

Jean Shimp

any suggestions on a software program that will calculate foundations for ground signs? Looking for information to design sign foundations that will include wind load calculations.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is this:

http://www.signweb.com/content/spreadsheet-download-engineering-sign-structures

in conjunction with : http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Sign-Structures-Introduction-Analysis/dp/0944094309

But remember, you should only use it as a guideline. If you do it your self, and something happens, a lawyer can come back on you. There really is no substitute for a hired professional.
That last statement is the key. Hire an engineer or run the risk if something goes wrong, it's all on you.

J Hill Designs

around here, an engineer's wet stamp is needed for permitting anything taller than 6 feet. I can see software being useful for estimating install costs, but not for actually telling me proper footing size etc.

Jean Shimp

Thanks for the replies. I am not looking for a substitute for an engineer's stamp, I am looking for software that you can plug in the size of the sign and some other basic details and then get calculations on the size footer your need. I've looked at a couple of software programs online and was wondering if anyone here was using one they could recommend.
We get so many requests for quotes on possible signs, I am spending way too much time figuring these jobs manually.

Nuagedesigns

Over engineer it to be safe. If you see this is more of your work might be worth the time and money to throw together a few examples differnt sizes that are some what common but larger enough difference to be helpful for future estimating jobs. Send them off to an engineer to get you designs and then use these as your standards and just specify price may will be according to final enginnered drawings for each job. Estimates are exactly what they are, estimates and subject to change based on final details of job.

player

Be sure to get an experienced sign engineer. I hired an engineer to design a pylon sign and he came back with ridiculously over engineered plans. The cost increase of the over would have sunk the project. I lent him a book I own about sign engineering and he came back with proper specs. He also thanked me for the use of the book.

This is the book. If you are inclined you will be able to spec out your own signs.

https://www.stmediabooks.com/store/shop-by-brands/signage-and-graphics/signs-of-the-times/engineering-sign-structures-an-introduction-to-analysis-and-design.html

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 992

TheDude

I think a major part of why this type of software doesn't exist is consideration has to be made for soil types and inclement weather and other natural forces that will be exerted on the sign structure. A sign in an earthquake zone will have to be designed with different considerations then a sign subject to hurricane forces. A footer in sandy soil may involve a different design then spongier silty soil. Lots of issues can arise from improper design. There is no one size fits all for any type of foundation structure. These types of liabilities are the reason for licensing. Should that sign fall there is someone else' insurance and professional license between you and a judgement.

Here's an excel macro provided by Murdoch Engineering. Great tool for estimating and then use them for the stamp/approval. Simply fill in the yellow areas and it calculates for you. Iirc, they have a brief tutorial on their website for it.

Attachments

• SIGN ESTIMATOR - MURDOCH ENGINEERING.xls
    302 KB · Views: 547

J Hill Designs

Here's an excel macro provided by Murdoch Engineering. Great tool for estimating and then use them for the stamp/approval. Simply fill in the yellow areas and it calculates for you. Iirc, they have a brief tutorial on their website for it.

All I'm finding is murdoch university...can you perhaps share the web link? this looks greatly helpful for estimates

TheDude

You understand that if you put your name on that and file it with the city it becomes a part of public record, and you are responsible for anything that happens from the time the sign goes up until either you or the sign are no longer around.

But yes, that appears to be a very legitimate spreadsheet calculator

You understand that if you put your name on that and file it with the city it becomes a part of public record, and you are responsible for anything that happens from the time the sign goes up until either you or the sign are no longer around.

But yes, that appears to be a very legitimate spreadsheet calculator

Great tool for estimating and then use them for the stamp/approval

​Reading comprehension.

Jean Shimp

When I click on the Excel file it changes it to a .php extension which I can't open. I can open an excel file normally. Also, when I clicked on the website it said it is under construction. Would really like to see this spreadsheet.