• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Pricing

sign_noob

Hey guys and gals,

I could use a little direction and I'm sure that I'm not providing enough information but I'll try my best.

I have a customer that wants 142 4" x 8" signs made on Signabond substrate. I can get about 144 out of one sheet if I'm careful cutting (I use a table saw). I'll probably quote it with two sheets of Signabond just to make sure I have plenty. Then customer is wanting reflective numbers and arrows. I'm using Orafol 5300.

I'd also be rounding the corners and punching a hole in the top and bottom.

Here is my question. I know that everyone has a labor fee and everyones is different but what do you think you would charge for something like this?
I'm thinking between $6.98 and $7.46 per sign. I don't have a large 4 foot cutter where I can just cut the letters and apply the whole thing to a sheet of Signabond so I have to do it in sections and l might even decide to lay the letters after cutting all the materials as well so I'm thinking there is going to be a few hours of labor in that area alone.

I'd like to know if I'm out of the ballpark or not. I know this question is subjective but any thoughts would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Customer3679.jpg
    Customer3679.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 263

Vinyldog

Sometimes you just have to take a WAG. (wild guess) Keep track of your time and use that information next time around. Charge a little more per hour when you are supplying the substrate to allow for the extra money tied up in material.

Billct2

I'd get a price from my supplier to cut the blanks w/holes.
Then I could get the price for the vinyl and estimate the time to design/cut/weed/apply, add some time for my bias that things go faster than they usually do and then add my mark-up/profit.

sign_noob

I'd get a price from my supplier to cut the blanks w/holes.
Then I could get the price for the vinyl and estimate the time to design/cut/weed/apply, add some time for my bias that things go faster than they usually do and then add my mark-up/profit.

Thanks Bill. Unfortunately, my substrate supplier won't cut the substrate or round corners or punch holes. I did the math already for my labor but I just kind of thought I might be on the low side with everything. Of course, the client is going to think it's on the high side. I actually am replacing Coroplast signs that someone else did. They said that they only paid $3.25 a piece for the same size(and they are a piece of ....). Obviously it didn't last long. Two seasons I think. They have other signs that were made on .040 aluminum that look to be a good 10 years old and are pretty bent and worn. I'm just trying to provide a good product at reasonable price. I'd imagine that they should get a good 7-10 years out of these.

Billct2

There are other suppliers out there, and this order could be easily shipped.
It's a lot of time to cut, radius and punch that many signs unless you have the right tools, like a corner
punch that will do that type of material. Even then I'd rather buy them ready to go.

rossmosh

1.5 sheets of material @ your purchasing price x 2.25
X amount of feet of vinyl @ your purchasing price x 2.25
X amount of time @ your design rate
X amount of time to cut/drill/shape @ your labor rate
X time on the plotter @ your machine rate
X time to weed, apply, and trim @ your labor rate

Total it up and that's the price.

I also agree that you'll likely be much better off sending the actual cutting of the ACM out to another company. Someone around you has to offer CNC routing. If not, you're talking about roughly 45lbs and 2-3 boxes shipped via UPS. That shouldn't cost much more than $50 if you're shipping quasi locally.

Billct2

One other thing, I would try to get them to go with a white border, lot easier to line up and apply the vinyl.

sign_noob

One other thing, I would try to get them to go with a white border, lot easier to line up and apply the vinyl.

I agree but it made for even smaller numbers on the sign and I have a pretty decent method for aligning so no worries there.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

visual800

i would definitely find supplier for the aluminum. super signs in auburn , al would do this I bet, but im sure you can find a closer source anyone with a router

ams

A table saw blade is 1/8" so deduct that from your cuts, you will lose a lot of area after many cuts.
I price my substrate at 35% - 40% mark up and that includes my labor, if it's a custom shape I charge $18 more.

So I think $8.50 each would be fair, quantity discount included.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
not sure why everyone is so afraid of cutting up the material, less than an hour on the table saw.

I would stick the vinyl in the largest chunks your cutter could handle and then cut them up. another hour on the corner rounder and you have a nice profit. considering what they paid for the last ones that lasted 2 years, I think your right on the money with your original quote.