• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa DC4 Carriage

kelly

Helping a community makerspace that has an old Summa. The Cassette Changer isn't doing it's job entirely properly and cassettes are not always fully returned to their home position. This generates an error message, user can open the door, pull the cassette back into position and resume the print without issue. So they're still using it, but obviously this is very inconvenient. Anyone know if there is a simpler fix for this than replacing the entire changer to the tune of $750 or so? Question for this nonprofit is whether it's worth it or if the printer is just past it's useful life and they'd be better off seeking a full replacement of some kind.

cornholio

Hi, you either need to replace cassette roller(s). That's relatively easy and shouldn't cost too much.
But it's likely those driven rubbery wheels in the carriage, that turn brittle and eventually even crack.(I can't find the number in the SM and my mail archive was deleted, when we needed to move into the cloud...
, but I found something in our service tool, of what I used
2x cassette changer wheel segmented
2x cassette changer wheel full
4x dampers
4x small screw for dampers)
I was able to order them from Summa in Belgium one or two years ago.
I think, Summa only sells complete refurbished carriages by now.

I wouldn't invest too much in a almost dead horse...

kelly

cornholio Thanks a million! Yes, looks like we cannot seem to find the parts individually.... Will keep checking or maybe someone else has a bead on where to buy--maybe call Belgium...