• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S Class cleaning MicroSprocket drive drum

Logan Powell

Hi friends,

I have been trying to clean my new (used) Summa's drive drum and am having a difficult time getting gunk out of the tiny crevices in the microsprocket. I read that I should allow the pinch rollers to roll over some exposed vinyl adhesive, but that isn't working.

Any cleaning tips for a newb?

Logan

Attila Nagy

Petrol can be used to remove glue from the metal parts, but keep it away from the pinch rollers. They can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. Use a toothbrush.

FrankW

Try to clean with adhesive tape put with the glue side onto the grit roller (thats an official summa suggestion). Could happen that the dirt will be pulled from the grit rollers.

Dont use something like a wire brush or other hard brush, that can damage the grit rollers. Because of the whole drive drum needs to be replaced even if single rollers only are damaged, living with dirty, but functioning grit rollers could be the best.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Not sure how large your sprocket pins are, but I have a Gerber GS with similar problems.

I use a Bic Round Stic stick pen with the ink cartridge removed. Use a razor blade to create a small notch in the end. Place the pen over each sprocket pin, gently rotate the pen. The gunk will get caught in the notch.

If the inside diameter of the pen is too large, find another that is suitable.

JB
1.jpg

2.jpg

KEYSER SOZE

Dip the bristles of a toothbrush in a LITTLE bit of IPA, don't use too much.
Keep a tissue on hand in case you get IPA on anything you shouldn't.

Gently massage it into the dirty grit rollers with the brush while slowly rotating the rollers with your fingers.
By the time you've done a couple of rotations, the gunk loosens and comes clean off.

Just wipe off the toothbrush regularly as you do it and dip it in a bit more IPA.

Happy Days.