• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Transfer Tape issues with Printed Vinyl

bscherer

High tack transfer tape isn't sticking to the printed surface of the decals I am trying to mask. I've tried pressing the transfer tape overnight with weights, peeling the backer off upside down, and a couple different tapes but it won't stick to the surface of the vinyl that has been printed on. Any solutions or advice is appreciated. Printer is a CET flatbed, UV cured inks.

victor bogdanov

Happens with matte UV inks on some vinyls. i have this issue printing matte mode on Colorado 1650 on some vinyls.

Try different vinyl or different printer. I've been able to salvage a few prints with this issue using clear transfer tape instead of paper, the clear tape stuck slightly better

Mgould327

I have run into this on laminated vinyl graphics.

Usually just run a few strips of blue painters tape across the graphics, then apply the transfer tape over that.

The painters tape sticks to the graphic well enough, the transfer tape sticks to the painters tape.

Not ideal, but in a pinch this has worked for me.

netsol

Happens with matte UV inks on some vinyls. i have this issue printing matte mode on Colorado 1650 on some vinyls.

Try different vinyl or different printer. I've been able to salvage a few prints with this issue using clear transfer tape instead of paper, the clear tape stuck slightly better
different printer? not my first guess, but, since YOU say so, i believe

aren't the whole series of printer , basically the same chemistry/technology?

(i don't get out much & don't get to touch these very often anymore)

victor bogdanov

different printer? not my first guess, but, since YOU say so, i believe

aren't the whole series of printer , basically the same chemistry/technology?

(i don't get out much & don't get to touch these very often anymore)
matte UV inks have a (microscopically) rough surface which is what gives them the matte appearance. This rough surface is harder to adhere to.

Capture.JPG

solvent won't have this issue since the ink goes onto the vinyl

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I use TransferRite Ultra clear. After trying a bunch of different ones for one customer we provide graphics for that go on displays that was having issues. Theirs are print cut with a matte lam. Don't know if that'd work for you, but maybe worth trying. I use the medium tack (1310) for them, and was shocked it worked so well, it's what I use now for just about everything. They also make a high tack (1320), we tried that for them too, and they said it stuck too well.