• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

transparent background PS to AI...

cha88

I am having issues getting my PS work into AI without a white background... in PS i have the background seperated from the image but when in place it in AI it has the white box around the image again...i have tried several things but to no success...

cha88

i have tried that and it tells me "could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file"

Bigdawg

Just Me
did you save it as a psd file? Did you make sure the transparency and not your white background is showing in photoshop? If so, then open the file and click on convert photoshop layers to objects when the dialogue box appears.

I do it pretty regularly...

jc1cell

did you save it as a psd file? Did you make sure the transparency and not your white background is showing in photoshop? If so, then open the file and click on convert photoshop layers to objects when the dialogue box appears.

I do it pretty regularly...

+1

cha88

thank you for your quick replys... i have tried so many things im not sure why that did not work originally... the problem now that the backgroud is not showing...is that i need to add the cutcontour swatch to the outline of the object... but the object has a box around every layer...what is my next move? thanks

Bigdawg

Just Me
you have two choices.... go back to photoshop and use the magic wand to select the transparent area... then go to select---->inverse. Then go to your paths and select "make work path" and enter .5 in the next dialogue box. Save your path and resave the file. Now when you import into Illy, that path will also import. BUT... it is probably a little jaggy from the magic wand...

You can then either use the smooth or simplify tools to fix the path in Illustrator. Or... sometimes its easier just to draw the path in AI by hand to begin with.

S

Locals Find!

Save the file as .gif that will take out the white box if you have neutralized the background. I do it all the time and that is the easiest way I know how. Just have to save it as an RGB vs. CMYK to preserve the neutrality.

Then just import it into illustrator and your good to go.