• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tricks for wrapping without removing door handles and mirrors

k6media

I've got to say I don't really understand taking everything off a vehicle? ... Especially door handles. The time it takes in order to remove the interior door panels, remove all the mechanisms etc.. do the wrap.. and then re-install. It's a load of extra time and risk. You can easily break clips.. potentially create additional expenses in fixing parts. I am guessing you are looking at approximately 1-1.5 hrs for removal and 2hrs to re-install? Not sure...

Mark.. I've gotta disagree with the comments regarding the handles etc... an experienced installer can do a full wrap without taking door handles, lights, mirrors off.. it's learning techniques to get around these without issues. This can be done and still have a superb looking wrap. If the door handle stick too far out from the vehicle it needs to be precut. This can be easily done without cutting into the door handle or causing issues.... mirrors.. really easy once you get the hang of it. Magnets I find are a huge help when doing a panel for the front door. Door handles that are painted can easily be pocketed, relief cut made around the handle and the vinyl tucked and cut nicely around..

We only remove mirrors if they be easily removed.. other then that the only other thing that comes off is rear window whipers...

cdiesel

Tristan is spot on. We take off what it makes sense to take off.

That said, we do a lot of horizontal panels. When doing this, it makes a heckuva lot of sense to take off mirrors. Door handles are no big deal (heck, most get wrapped), but easily removed taillights, mirrors, antennas, wipers, squirters, etc tend to be easier to remove than to wrap around. Notice I said *easily removed*.

Novice installers should probably remove more obstacles, rather than try to fight their way around them. It'll take forever, and most likely, it'll get done incorrectly and will ultimately fail.

Mayne: I'd strongly suggest you take some good advice from above and remove at least the mirrors. The people who should be wrapping around obstacles such as mirrors, shouldn't have to ask how to do it. If you want to "hone your skills", do it on your vehicle. Not on your clients'.

k6media

Chris! How are you buddy?

Totally agree.. The one thing I would say is again about the risk involved in taking apart a clients vehicle. I know personally I would be pretty upset if I was having my vehicle wraped and someone took the vehicle apart and potentially affected the integrity of the vehicle when they were putting things back together. I personally am not knowledgeable enough to remove door handles. I am sure I could figure it out, but while doing so I would most likely make mistakes..

It's more about the door handles then anything... I even find taking lights off isn't worth the time involved. You can easily wrap around lights and if cut properly you can hardly the see colour of the vehicle below.

In the end it all depends on client expectation. If they are looking for a paint-like wrap where every nook and cranny is covered.. then there is a lot more work involved. If they understand vehicle graphics are a means of advertising their business.. then there are far more efficient ways of wraping a vehicle which will get you on to your next wrap faster and making your business more profitable.

jasonx

I take off the items where its quicker to remove the items then to wrap around them.

If your doing a passenger vehicle cut the panel on the windows and apply the bottom half of the vehicle and then the long top strip in two different sections. The mirrors won't bother you then. Just make sure you make your cut so you have enough vinyl for cover the top parts of the doors and the front fender. Tuck the vinyl in under the mirrors.

You can also push the mirrors around on most vehicles so they don't stick out so much.

maynemag

Thanks to the last 4 posts as well, finally someone understands where I am coming from. As the old saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat". Why not try and learn different methods of installation to find out what works best for you, instead of the "pros" constantly pointing out that this is a novice question. Even the "pros" were a novice at some point.

SBTJC

We don't allow the customer to dictate how we wrap. We are the professionals, and its MY name going on it. When the customer gets involved in the details like that, things always go sideways and you will be the one stuck fixing it. Believe me, I have ran into that to many times. I inform my customer about the time lines, what happens on those days, and why we need those times. If they don't want to comply then we are not a good match to do business with. Fact is, I am the best in town, and I will not allow my quality to be taken down, by customer demands. There are plenty of wrappers in my area that wrap and we get to fix it, or redo their work because the quality isn't there. My customers come to me, because they want a quality job done right. For that they have to put up with my schedule to certain degree, and my demands.

We do take the vehicle apart, however, an actual body shop does that work for me, and those costs are turned over to the customer. We do this for several reason, so I don't make a mistake, to ensure the warranty stays in tact, and because I know the car will be put back together right. I don't up charge for this, I just turn the invoice right over to the customer. For this we are the most expensive in town, but my customers don't mind because they know they are getting a quality job. As I tell them, I am sign guy and vehicle wrapper, not a mechanic.

k6media

A wrap without door handles, mirrors, lights etc... must go on like a dream....

If they could magically be removed by someone else properly.. and re-installed by someone else properly.. my client took the liability if anything went wrong.. AND was willing to pay for it.....

...... It would be great!...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
hmmm, being an ass to guys who try to help, and who have participated here 20 times more then you... well, I ain't taking sides, but you just might screw yourself when the hundreds of potentially helpful people here who might appreciate Circleville's participation, might decide that you are not worth their breath, because you are an ass to people who waste time trying to help you in thy way they wish to help, instead of the way you require...

...maybe you'd be better off turning that ass holiness toward your one client who's trying to tell you how to help him... instead turning on several folks here & telling them exactly how they are allowed to help you :omg:

Sorry...but in defense...circles "help" was more like a jerky slam against his character.

trimitbyrich

Since he seems to know so much about wrapping a car maybe you should ask him to come in and install it without removing handles or mirrors. I'd tell him he needs to find a new installer.

Mosh

Tell a plumber to fix your sink without turning the water off first and see what they say, or an electician to fix an outlet without turning the power off. Be a man, stand up to these "customers" they are a dime a dozen. If you wanted to be rich your wouldn't be in this biz anyway! You'd be farming!