• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrade to signlab8

gabagoo

I was just informed of a deal to upgrade my signlab 5 to signlab 8 for $750.00. I can't say no and ordered it. I have 2 signlab workstations, but only decided to upgrade the one for now. I am doing this as my version 5 is still in my main computer running win 98. I figure I can put the new version in my laptop and learn it slowly while still using my old version and when I feel confident then upgrade the operating system and reinstall into my main comp. I also have Flexi Photoprint for my digital printing and as I have worked with Signlab for so many years figured I should stick with it for now. I was just wondering of those that have this version how they felt about it and if there are some neat things about it or if there are problems with it?

Border

I've been running Signlab for years now and am currently at version 6.1 e6.

Also wondering just how much improved it really is?

One of the big pet peeves I have about my current version is that when I export any files as Illustrator ai and sometime eps too, I get errors when I try to import it into Illy. But Flexi opens them fine. Then if I re-save as an illy or eps file from flexi, it will open just fine in Illy. Anyone else have this problem. I've had this software onseveral computers as I upgraded systems, but still have the same issues.

I mainly use Signlab for all my vector work now even though I have the full blown print & cut version. I do most of my bitmap editing in Photoshop and am gradually using Illustrator more and more as I do more large format graphics for wraps, etc. I sub out my large format prints since I don't have a solvent printer, just the old 46" Mutoh rj6000 pigmented ink printer (which I hardly ever use anymore).

But at any rate, my current e6 version of Signlab really sucks for printing but I do plan to get a new printer soon so I'm also wondering if the rip that comes with the new Signlab is significantly better?

d fleming

Been using Signlab many years. I have had the occassional problem, but cadlink and it's techs have always gotten me through without me having to be too much of a squeaky wheel. Currently running 8 on 2 stations, one runs a Seiko the other an hp, both solvent. I don't think the jump in versions will give you too much trouble and you will love not having to use flexi anymore for anything other than converting old files. The print manager is very good. I still use photoshop and corel but Signlab is where I spend 90% of my time.

gabagoo

I am only getting the vinyl version, no print as this comp not hooked up to the printer anyhow. I set stuff up in Signlab then send it across the network and import to Flexi for printing. I was wondering if Signlab 8 can open cs3 files? this would be great as I have nothing that can at the moment.

Artgunner

I'm not happy with Signlab now. Their color profiles stink and having other problems too. I know their tech guy by first name. Flexi Production man is much better. I just upgraded to Signlab 8 but wish I had not. Now I am going to Flexi. And... I was a diehard Signlab guy from the 80's!

Cheers,

GVP

Just remember that your old version 5 won't be able to open the new version 8 files directly...(although 8 will open 5 files)

BobM

I started with SignLab 6 and upgraded to 7. I don't see anything in 8 that would make life easier for me. The tech service people have been excellent the few times I needed them.

chopper

I started with sign lab oem version when sign warehouse was selling it instead of flexi, then went to 5, then to 7 now to 8, I haven't had any issues that were major I think that 8 is much better than the 7.1 and if you want to run vista you will need to make the change, as for the color profiles I havent had one issue with them at all, I guess that I would make the switch, even if it is for the vinyl only, but remember if your are doing the upgrade and you are going to switch from computer to computer ( 5 on one machine and 8 on an other) you will only have one dongle key so the machine you have it in is the only one that it will run on..
//chopper