• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Usage of old photos on new shop's website

jesseeee

So after 12 years of working in the sign industry, I'm thinking about branching out and starting my own business. Right now I'm in the preliminary steps of creating a company logo/website/etc.

Over the years I've done it all from design/output, to production, to installations. I've accumulated quite a collection of photos from signs I've installed over the years. I no longer work at those shops anymore, but I have all of the photos saved. These installs were done as an outside contractor, off the clock. I was wondering the legalities of using those photos of the signs I've produced/installed on my website to use as examples of signage we offer. Since I'm just starting out on my own I don't have much content to fill the website yet. Do those photos technically belong to me since I created, installed and photographed the signage? Or are they property of my previous employers?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So after 12 years of working in the sign industry, I'm thinking about branching out and starting my own business. Right now I'm in the preliminary steps of creating a company logo/website/etc.

Over the years I've done it all from design/output, to production, to installations. I've accumulated quite a collection of photos from signs I've installed over the years. I no longer work at those shops anymore, but I have all of the photos saved. These installs were done as an outside contractor, off the clock. I was wondering the legalities of using those photos of the signs I've produced/installed on my website to use as examples of signage we offer. Since I'm just starting out on my own I don't have much content to fill the website yet. Do those photos technically belong to me since I created, installed and photographed the signage? Or are they property of my previous employers?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I believe technically, while you were employed by someone else, the content of the photograph belongs to them as it was created and furnished under their name, not yours.

You own the photograph, but not to misrepresent a company that isn't even in existence yet, did them. You might want to hold onto them and show them to possible customers as something you did while working somewhere else, but to outright publish them in a magazine, website or any other publication would be kinda wrong.

When I buy a Ford Super Duty, I don't know who put the trim molding on, who put this, that or whatever on it, I just buy the Ford name and model.

shoresigns

I would contact your previous employers for permission to use the photos.

If you're unsure how well that would go over and you'd rather just risk it and use some of the photos, I would keep it limited to only jobs that you had a substantial involvement with. Present it as a portfolio of your previous work, not as a catalog of what you do.

Pat Whatley

Do those photos technically belong to me since I created, installed and photographed the signage?

You didn't create the signs....your previous employers shop did. It doesn't matter if you did all the work, you were an employee, just a part of their system.

For the installation it's the same thing....you were a subcontractor....part of their system.

jesseeee

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. You all make valid points and I was sort of leaning that way. Even though I did physically create and install the signs, it wouldn't be right to advertise them as being created under my new business.

I'll have to look into other options to show what we do. Maybe stock photography or illustrations of different signage. Thanks again!

Typestries

You are treading in territory where you need more than the advice of signs 101. No offense to anyone here, but you need to speak with an attorney versed in employment and creative law. Perhaps your previous employer would never pursue your publishing of the images, but they certainly could and I'm fairly certain they would prevail. Again, you should seek professional advice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You are treading in territory where you need more than the advice of signs 101. No offense to anyone here, but you need to speak with an attorney versed in employment and creative law. Perhaps your previous employer would never pursue your publishing of the images, but they certainly could and I'm fairly certain they would prevail. Again, you should seek professional advice.

While I think this is good sound advice about an attorney, it really just boils down to a moral question. Was it created in your name or someome elses ??

Anyone seeing their shop's work advertised on someone else's website would infuriate them to no end.... and so it should.

Before websites and all this instant access to anywhere in the world, we had scrap books/albums with photographs in them. It was much easier to represent your craft with things you did, even if it was performed somewhere else. Was is honest ?? Probably not. I did it, but would always give the place credit where I had worked. At one of the places I worked, I practically ran the show. Just wasn't me paying the bills. In fact, the name of the place had much to do with my being there. I was doing enough work on the side and 2 of the places I worked, let customers work directly with me on certain projects. One is still in operation today, but at a totally different scale from us. In fact, my second year in business, I passed his yearly gross by my third quarter...... and he had been in business for about 18 years at that point.

Billct2

I would keep those old photos in a portfolio you can use to show clients when discussing a job (till you have your own).
On the web I would use legally purchased stock images and renderings till you have your own. Just put a small disclaimer somewhere.

Marlene

someone else said this but I will too. why not contact your former employers and ask them if you an use the photos and credit them in the info about the photo?

CanuckSigns

I also have photos of jobs I did for other shops printed in a binder, I bring it out when I meet with a client in person to show them what I am capable of, I tell them they are photos of signs I personally made while employed by another company, but there is no reason I can't produce something of the same caliber now.