• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Composer 3.0 in a monument shop

iSign

probably... but probably not a lot of people here... did you have a question a sign guy might be able to help with?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Use as in design or output to a device?

Monuments as in Monument and pylon type signage or as in plaques, headstones or that type?

I have only used Composer for output to a router, plotter or engraver. Every shop I worked at design in Illustrator or Corel, and then use a sign program to output. It can be done, but there are advantages to using a program like Illustrator or Corel.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would say that if you are looking to design and then cut sandblast resist using Omega, you will have some distinct advantages. Gerber has a number of fonts that are well established for monument use and has a couple of plotters that feature tractor pin feed and tangential cutting ... both of which will give you superior cutting of sandblast rubber.

laurelarts

I freelance as a graphic designer using Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop & Quark Xpress. But I've been working part-time at a monument shop doing stencil layout on the stones for the last year and a half.
My boss finally purchased an Allen i536 cutter in December (getting that tax credit thing in before the end of the year). He was advised to get the Composer software since it's necessary to cut. I've gotten use to the strangeness of it, but one thing I'm having trouble with is creating polish edge letters. It's easy to create the frosted inlaid letter, just add extra space between the letters before outlining. With polish edge letters though the font has to be either very thin so that the 1/8-3/16" polish edge given the letter looks good or be very heavy so that an inline can be created creating the thin inner letter. So far I haven't found the ideal font (characters and numbers must also look good as well).
So I was wondering if anyone has experience with this or something similar. Right now we're swamped, Memorial Day is a big deadline for us, and the boss doesn't want me to play around any longer with it. This means he'll have me manually punch those stencils.

Thanks,
Daphne