• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using the Nation's Flag in a design.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Well it is a part of our job. I can respect it not being a part of your's. I guess the difference between us is that I understand that if a client is conscious of their customers' tastes and promotes their business accordingly, they have a better chance of being successful. I have also found that a client that is more successful is more likely to return and hire us to do more work. Our best clients have and most likely always will be the repeat customers. But that's our business. I recognize that not all businesses are run the same way. I'm sure there are plenty out there that have done quite will with the "one and done" mentality. It just doesn't fit for us.

If your client's success or failure is important to you then you should do whatever you can to ensure that success.

I've always considered worrying about my impact on someone else's success to be riding thin odds. 'Thin odds' being a politic way to say 'micro effect'. If someone's is or is going to be successful, they will be so with or without me. If another's business is going to suck the pipe, it will also do so with or without my efforts.

If, on the other hand, there is a business so delicately balanced on the edge of success or failure that I can push it one way or the other, the probability of this being the case is so minute that one might be considered a fool for being overly concerned with it.

Joe Diaz

Not always knowing the financials of our customers, I like to err on the side of caution and assume that they are on the edge, or at least assume that the decisions we (our company) make as designers have somewhat of an effect on the success of their business. Maybe not the only thing effecting it, I certainly never claimed that, but we try to help their business in a positive way none the less. I think this shows in people's work too, whether it be a carpenter or an accountant. I know I look for that from the people I hire. Also I personally have noticed that the folks that don't listen to us when we give professional advice, and instead do only what makes them feel good ignoring their customer's point of view, tend to not make it longer than a year or two, because they take this approach with most professionals they hire. I never felt like being concerned with the success of people who hire us, is a bad trait or foolish. It seems to me any effort we spend being concerned with their success is no more taxing then coming up with excuses on why we shouldn't.

iCantFeelMyLegs

Geez i see a thread about some guy complaining about his x-acto coming loose then this. Is this a joke or is it normal for this site. Any american flag jobs you all don't want, send them to me...

C

ColoPrinthead

Geez i see a thread about some guy complaining about his x-acto coming loose then this. Is this a joke or is it normal for this site. Any american flag jobs you all don't want, send them to me...
:Big Laugh it's the norm. Welcome to :signs101:

Oddly enough, I'm going through the same thing. A former marine is dead set on using the flag and american eagle as part of his designs for his business.

I raised my objections, he appreciated the input but ultimately wanted the flag and eagle.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues and concerns using the flag

~Chris

Joe Diaz

I don't get it. This post is several weeks old, you had to have gone looking for it in order revive it? For what? To complain about this site, and how trivial you think the threads are? That's kind of ironic don't you think?

Also did you read the thread? It's not about turning down American Flag jobs at all. It's about how to properly use it in a design or advertisement. Seems like a worthy topic for a sign forum to me. Start your own thread and ignore the rest if you are so bothered about what people choose to discuss. :thumb: