• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Varisigns Channel Letter Bender and Welder

nastewart0521

Does anyone have any experience with this company? We are looking into a channel letter bender/welder and I came across this company on YouTube. I'm impressed with the videos I've seen but just a little worried about buying a machine from a company I've never heard of and based out of china. With that being said I have talked to their distributor in Florida and the owner had nothing but great things to say about the laser welder.

-Letter Bender

-Laser Welder

Johnny Best

If I was spending big bucks on something like that, I would have to see it and look at all the workings, especially if it was made in China.
Who do you call when something does not work right?

JBurton

Signtologist
the owner had nothing but great things to say about the laser welder.
I talked with our welding distributor about these, and they want to carry them, but they are incredibly dangerous machines. To have a set up that osha would approve, you need a guy decked out in welding leather, inside an enclosure. The laser can travel great distances and still cause significant damage. The only ones I can find from reputable manufacturers are computer controlled inside enclosures. If you look at the 'laser cleaning mode' part of the video, you can see the operator is at a fair distance to the workpiece, and he's burning the part under the one he's cleaning. I doubt the gloves he's wearing will do anything for him if he shoots himself in the hand.

Here's what miller offers and it's safety description:

Safety and Performance​

Class 1 laser safe enclosure. ANSI Z136.1-2014 American National standard for safe use of lasers

Designed in accordance with ANSI/RIA R15.06-2012, UL1740, NFPA 79 and CSA Z434.

L-shaped light curtains, interlocked safety gates, dual channel safety circuit, rotating arc flash barrier and solid sheet metal wall panels.
pl1100hw-robotcellfjpg.jpg

All that being said, I'd love one of these handheld units, if anybody gets one I'd love to hear about their first hand experience.