• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vector Program

CarolinaCabinet

In your opinion, what is the best program/filter/add-on for converting raster into a vector line drawing? I hear people tell me a lot of different opinions, just wanted to see which program would win overwhelmingly.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I like Illustrator, but I redraw everything and do very little autotrace. I also use the Vector Doctor... if you don't know how to redraw, he is extremely affordable, quick and accurate. Or are you looking for an autotrace kind of program?

I don't think you'll get a clear winner as the "best" vector program out there, as a lot of it is personal preference and the programs you are used to.

CarolinaCabinet

Stacy, I agree about the personal preference, but that is what I am looking for, which personal preference is the most widely popular. I can redraw but am pretty slow at it, so yet I am asking for auto-trace programs but Vector Doctor counts since it's still being done for you. Anyone else?

Billct2

I use both Corel and Adobe, plus Gerber but that's only if I'm slow, otherwise the Doctor is the man.

bjones

Problem with autotraces is that they are kinda the golden goose. neat to dream about but really not worth putting any stock in :)

I've yet to see any variant of a vector autotrace that produces a remotely usable result unless the original art has essentially zero straight lines or curves. Best bet is to either hire someone like vector doctor or learn to get proficient at tracing by hand with illustrator or the like. No magic bullet on this one unfortunately.

/b

GK

In your opinion, what is the best program/filter/add-on for converting raster into a vector line drawing? I hear people tell me a lot of different opinions, just wanted to see which program would win overwhelmingly.

My opinion is that with the current programs out, none of them are worth using since you have to clean them up anyway which wastes just as much time (seriously not being a wise@ss) They are all using the same basic algorithms to process the rasterized images to vector ones with the exception of the new Corel and Illustrator which have more advanced auto traces. Practice getting doing it manually and you will get fast at it in no time and will never have to settle for sub-par results from autotraces again.

weaselboogie

Vector Doctor's work is flawless and he's quick, but autotrace does have it's place. I do cartoon work, so it's ok if I don't have exactly a straight line from a drawing to a trace. I use corel's trace and then go in and node edit, but never for text and NEVER for logos unless you have super high res bmps to go from.. Something like that is usually best to recreate yourself. Unfortunately, It DOES require some work and isn't a one click. Basic shapes, lots of time with the pen tool and a good handle on fonts will be able to recreate most logos.

TheSnowman

Yea, they've been around a while now. It used to be free, that was the only time I'd even consider it, because you could at least go in and try to edit it. But now, if I'm gonna pay someone, I'll pay the vector dr. and have it done right, instead of wasting time on what isn't right.

Arstron

Try http://www.inkscape.org/ I use it quiet often when re-lettering wrecked 18 wheelers. I take my camera to the body shop, get a picture with my cannon s3is (with chdk hack) of the logo, numbers, etc. 90% of the time, inkscape will vectorize it perfectly and will not need any touch ups at all. The other 10% of the time the time is when the lettering is damaged on the vehicle to start with, which doesn't take long to fix up. Did I mention it is free open source software?

Cadmn

corel has a group of people wanting images that didn't powertrace well to work with I just sent one to them contact me Via PM for email to send to.