• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking

SignStudent

I'm trying to apply lettering cut from Oracal 751 vinyl to a white box truck but I'm not getting a good bond. I've tried cleaning with rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol but it's still not sticking well. When I peel the vinyl back there is a white film stuck to it. Any suggestions as to what needs to be done? Is there something that will remove the film or is it just failing paint that needs to be repainted/clear coated?

letterman7

That's called chalking, and you should have checked that way before even trying to apply the vinyl. Yes, it can be removed through scrubbing and even a light buffing - a regular "hand wash" or power wash won't take it off. The box should be shiny when it's clean - not dull. Hard lesson to learn, but one that could have been quite easily avoided.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
The fiberglass box trucks are the worst to get the chalking off. I generally scrub the heck out of them with a soft bristle brush and whitewall cleaner, then soap and sponge with a hose. Once dried, I then wipe them down with denatured alcohol, followed by a dry rag as to not let it dry on its own. I'm not sure if this is the "right" way, but as stated above, if you are pulling up the white film on the back of the vinyl, you still have some more cleaning to do.

reQ

Had 2 54' semi trailers to wrap, guess what.. same problem. was cleaning them for long time lol

Kwiksigns

wookie
Purple power takes that stuff right off, then just use a soft brush and hose it down. You can buy it at auto zone or advanced auto parts. probably other places. It will take damn near anything off. just make sure you use it in a corner or inconspicuous place first.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Mark this vehicle down in your notes as a potential problem removal. If you get it clean and vinyl to stick, removal will be a pain later. My theory is that the oxidized paint has a tooth/texture/micro pores that the adhesive bonds to kind of like velcro.