• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Sign Graphics Pricing

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're skirting around everything I asked or said. Why ??

* Do you have insurance to work on another person's property ??
* Do you know how to get the proper permits ??
* What if (and they will) ask you for your licenses ??

Do you really expect to do a project like this by asking a few questions on the internet ??

What will you do if you bust the customer's front door window...... or a ladder falls on a pedestrian...... or whatever ?? This is why you need to get permits, to insure the municipality you have all your ducks in a row, in case the unexpected should happen. You ever get tangled up with a municipality for doing this wrong, you'll be in a big heap of doo-doo.

Stacey K

I like making signs
OP - Definitely consider Gino's advice with insurance, permits, etc. These are things that the "other sign shop" have. It's one reason they are 2 months out. Insurance is VERY important.

If you want to proceed forward, call for insurance - you already have business insurance so this should just be an add-on for you. Check out your local building codes online or call. There should be a permit you can print out and apply for. Ours is a $100 minimum and .50 per square foot. They are typically approved within a couple days for me.

FireSprint has a nice hourly wage calculator you can use. It will help you figure out what you should be charging to keep your doors open, then as everyone stated, make sure you aren't undercutting the competition.

Stick with small signage until you get the hang of applying vinyl. If this job is for your friend, that's perfect. Just make sure you have extra vinyl. You want your first job to look perfect. Hopefully your friend is willing to give you a chance and won't think you're an idiot if you re-do the window 3 times - which could happen.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

Do you really expect to do a project like this by asking a few questions on the internet ??

What will you do if you bust the customer's front door window...... or a ladder falls on a pedestrian...... or whatever ?? This is why you need to get permits, to insure the municipality you have all your ducks in a row, in case the unexpected should happen. You ever get tangled up with a municipality for doing this wrong, you'll be in a big heap of doo-doo.

BB Promos

Insurance Commercial General Liability: I have 1M Each occurrence, 500K Damage to Rented Premises, 15K Med Exp., 1M Personal & Adv Injury, 3M Gen Aggregate, 3M Products Comp Agg, and 1M Umbrella, so yes I do have Insurance.

Permits: I will double check, but it is for replacing graphics that are currently there, and most municipalities around here are not very restrictive. This is actually in a township, having even less restrictions and requirements, and does not list any such restrictions for doing this type of repair/replacement work for an existing sign.

License: We have a state sales/business license. I am checking with the city and state about other license requirements. From what I see so far from our state, it looks like installation of an electrical sign would require a Sign Specialty Contractor Registration with the Bureau of Construction Codes Electrical Division.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback.