• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Vp540 crop sensor problem -cant find marks

mcbirdman

It took a lot of work getting my printer to work about a year ago. Everything has been good but for the first time I tried to laminate and then cut. It cant find the crop marks.

My question is: Is there suppossed to be a light that illuminates under the sensor head that lets it see the black dot? I don't see anything and wanted to start there..... I have a canon prograff printer and I see the Blue Led light turn on when it is sensing stuff and it got me thinking..... It is so dark under there..... it seems it needs more than ambient light which is very low in our case.

I did read about cleaning the lens, possibly adjusting the voltage in tech mode etc but it seems like without lighting the paper up somehow.... I don't know how it can see what it is doing.... Thanks. :)

mcbirdman

looking at old youtube videos showing reinsertion into machine and can't see a light on them. Thinking maybe somehow my studio lights are shining into machine too much because if there is a light for the sensor, not bright enough to see so it might not take much to have my studio lights shining on machine and throwing it off. Can't wait to check that out.... It cuts fine and it prints fine, I just can't get it to find the crop marks.

Drip Dry

looking at old youtube videos showing reinsertion into machine and can't see a light on them. Thinking maybe somehow my studio lights are shining into machine too much because if there is a light for the sensor, not bright enough to see so it might not take much to have my studio lights shining on machine and throwing it off. Can't wait to check that out.... It cuts fine and it prints fine, I just can't get it to find the crop marks.
I've never seen a light under mine. i assume you do know that you have to manually line up the eye with the black mark.
I always found that if I lined it it up exactly over the dot, it wont find it.
So, I line it up about half way over the dot . Line it up in the direction of travel. Kinda gives it a running start

You also know that after lining it up, you have to press the base key before sending the job

IsItFasst

It could need adjusting but hard to know without being in service mode and seeing the reading. That will give you the truth about the issue. I have had to do this before as if it just gets slightly out of voltage it will read wrong and not work.

But you need to makes sure the eye is pretty close to being perfectly in line with the marks. It doesn't try very hard to find them if it isn't VERY close. I am in the habit of always loading the edge of the vinyl to the same spot each time (even when not laminating). My machine has a line in the metal I always pull the vinyl to that line. That way when I load the the vinyl in after laminating there is no question where that front edge of vinyl needs to be. Also be sure to add about an extra foot to the backend of the vinyl before cutting off or the back sensor will think your ran out of vinyl and will stop trying to find the eye or cut.

petit

Red light is for others like SUMMA not Roland. Try clean the sensor on the carriage with Isopropilic Alcool and wait 30 mins for dry. Check that thr rollers do not roll on the crop marks while cutting, it could disturb the correct reading of the marks.

mcbirdman

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. I tried to get it to find the cutlines and it seemed to, on two points as the sensor slowed down it's movements a couple times but ultimately failing. I will try that stuff on an upcoming project. As you've suggested..... I will clean the sensor, make sure to "almost" line up the sensor, and try to make sure edge of media is aligned close to same spot on edge. I will also rotate my movable hanging studio lights so that they aren't shining towards the machine in case it is throwing excess light into the print area. I really appreciate the help, and will try to update my progress in this area when I get a chance to try it again. The print and cut function works fine, but to take it out and laminate, then cut is when I have the problem getting it lined up again. It sure seems to use a lot of vinyl around the edges, which is the reason I will wait for the next time.....

Thanks again.

James

FrankW

There are possibilities to test and adjust the sensor. Not shure how without being in front of the machine, and I‘m not been in the VP540 Servicing business since years. As far as I remember there is a potentiometer on the little board on the tool carriage to adjust, and a menu entry in the service menu who gives back values.

In addition, there is a little sheet of foil below the sensor, at the head carriage, what should not be damaged to work properly, and additionally, everytime it could be that the flat cable to the tool carriage can be broken. But if you test the sensor and get reaction, this will not be the case.