• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS540i blobby issue with nozzle check

huddsphil

Hi all,
Thank you for accepting me in. I'm new to this forum.
I have a VS540i for the last 3 years, was working perfectly until last weekend got a scan motor error 44 I think. This happened some point Saturday after closing 12:30, came in to work Monday and error showing.
Cap top, wiper, felt all replaced 3 weeks ago.
Print head was sitting uncapped 5" into the media area all weekend.
Monday morning I replaced the scan motor clearing the error code.
After several medium cleans the nozzle check was blank.
I then head soaked for 3 hours with a small number of nozzles then firing.
Another head soak that evening until the following morning, most of the nozzles were now firing Tuesday morning.
After several medium cleans and another 3 hour head soak the head was beginning to look it's old self but on closer inspection the lines were looking blobby and not smooth as in the attached image.
If I run a solid 700mm x 500mm rainbow pattern test piece the lines improved greatly almost 95% perfect, the next morning they are blobby again.
What else can I do/change to get it running perfect, have I missed anything.
Cheer in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_111828.jpg
    IMG_20230705_111828.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 217

damonCA21

That is a very weird test print ! Get a torch and magnifying glass and see if there is anything on the printhead face. Also check the captops, wipers etc. for any stray hairs.
It is likely the drying out and then soaking and cleaning has left nozzle damage. Too much cleaning can do this but its unusual for it to effect all the nozzles equally like on yours

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
To me it looks like the vinyl is sweating plasticizer or the ink is separating. Do you use a bulk system?

huddsphil

That is a very weird test print ! Get a torch and magnifying glass and see if there is anything on the printhead face. Also check the captops, wipers etc. for any stray hairs.
It is likely the drying out and then soaking and cleaning has left nozzle damage. Too much cleaning can do this but its unusual for it to effect all the nozzles equally like on yours
Hi, I've done the zoom-in check for hairs/fibers and all is clean. Had the cap top, felt and wiper changed about 3 weeks ago with oem genuine parts.

The strange thing is after a good test print the nozzle test print is fine then the next morning its back to been blobby

huddsphil

To me it looks like the vinyl is sweating plasticizer or the ink is separating. Do you use a bulk system?
This happens on any media, photo, banner, vinyl, pop-up its only better once I do a decent size with my test print. I was beginning to think possibly the dampers but not 100% sure as its all nozzles

damonCA21

Tomorrow morning after leaving overnight and before printing anything, look at the face of the head and see if it has ink on it. Perhaps ink is seeping through which would account for the bad test print, then when it starts printing this clears as the head doesnt deliver much ink during that.

It could be a captop problem, or possibly your pump. Sometimes a failing pump can cause a vacuum and can draw ink through the heads into the captop when it is left overnight. If this doesn't soak away then it could leave ink sitting on the face of the head.
What you can also try is when you first turn the machine on, do a light head clean then the test print and see if this helps

huddsphil

Tomorrow morning after leaving overnight and before printing anything, look at the face of the head and see if it has ink on it. Perhaps ink is seeping through which would account for the bad test print, then when it starts printing this clears as the head doesnt deliver much ink during that.

It could be a captop problem, or possibly your pump. Sometimes a failing pump can cause a vacuum and can draw ink through the heads into the captop when it is left overnight. If this doesn't soak away then it could leave ink sitting on the face of the head.
What you can also try is when you first turn the machine on, do a light head clean then the test print and see if this helps
The cap top, felt and wiper changed about 3 weeks ago
Print head face is nice, clean and dry.
I replaced the pump at the same time as the scan motor

huddsphil

It had crossed my mind that it may be that, but after doing my rainbow test print, it performs perfectly all day, then it sits all night and the next morning has blobby issue, makes me think its an ink flow to the head or possibly a damper issue.

huddsphil

yeah it's next job on my list, not a clean job though how I see it, think I need to clamp all ink lines unless there's an easier way without ink spill

huddsphil

UPDATE....
Having replaced all the dampers there is a slight improvement but I still have the bobbly effect on the nozzle test print.

IMG_20230715_090623.jpg

If I do my rainbow test pattern

IMG_20230715_090718.jpg

the nozzle check is much better but not perfect

IMG_20230715_092119.jpg .

pictures attached,
Is there anything else I could try before I bite the bullet with a new printhead?

damonCA21

I think it is probably new head time. The multiple soaks and cleanings could have damaged the nozzles, and you have ruled out pretty much everything else that could be a cause

huddsphil

That's sad news, it runs almost perfect after the cleans until the following morning, I will have to live with this a little longer doing the head cleans in a morning, £1k - £2k for the head is a big up front hit for the sake of a couple of cleans.
Thanks Damon and the other guys for all your input/help.

damonCA21

That's sad news, it runs almost perfect after the cleans until the following morning, I will have to live with this a little longer doing the head cleans in a morning, £1k - £2k for the head is a big up front hit for the sake of a couple of cleans.
Thanks Damon and the other guys for all your input/help.
If it prints ok after the clean, I would keep doing that for as long as possible to put off having to get the new head. You never know it may fix itself over time.