• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall wrap material

petepaz

normally when i do a wall wrap i use 3M IJ180Cv3 and have no issues but sometimes customers request removable vinyl and i recommend against it because in my experience removable never sticks great whether it's because of the temp changes in the area or compatibility with the paint or what ever.
does anyone else have this issue?
does anyone use removeable vinyl with no issues, if so what material do you use?

i have tried orajet 3268, orajet 3169 RA and phototex all with curling issues (some worse than others)

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
You are wise to stick with 3M 180 for wall wraps. We have tried removable films, too, with hit-or-miss results. GF WallMark 226HTR has given us the best results. We print on a UV curable printer with no lam. Laminate seems to be the majority of the problem (extra weight, shrinking).

MikePro

my favorite removeable is PhotoTex Opaque.
i've even removed it and reinstalled on a new wall.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
normally when i do a wall wrap i use 3M IJ180Cv3 and have no issues but sometimes customers request removable vinyl and i recommend against it because in my experience removable never sticks great whether it's because of the temp changes in the area or compatibility with the paint or what ever.
does anyone use removeable vinyl with no issues, if so what material do you use?

i have tried orajet 3268, orajet 3169 RA and phototex all with curling issues (some worse than others)
we use IJ40 when it needs to be removable

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
GF 226 works well for us. No lam. Eco-solvent printed.

Recently did a 150’x17’ wall. Has been up for a few months. No problems.

signheremd

GF226HTR has worked well for us. It is High Tack and Removable! Another plus is General Formulations is an American Company and their vinyl is American Made.

Rohit Prasad

WWW.COMPASSCOLOR.COM

Try phototex ESX. It has a stronger yet removable adhesive.

victor bogdanov

I have used:

Phototex OPA / OPAS
GF226HTR
GF253 (discontinued now)
Prestotex

They all work great on smooth walls, on lightly textured walls I like to put wallpaper adhesive along the top edge. On medium to high textured walls I'll use wallpaper adhesive such as roman pro 880 on the entire wall.

On the installs that I do not do (customers install themselves and do not use additional adhesive as recommended) there is a 2-3% failure rate due to wall texture, always due to texture that is obviously not going to work. Have not seem many failures on smooth walls with either of the materials

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Retac from Drytac is outstanding. It comes in a 6mil Smooth but the better finishes are the embosses - Sand, Canvas, Linen, and Wood Grain. The embosses hide the imperfections on the wall. The adhesive is microsphere removable meaning you can put it on a wall and remove it years later without hurting the wall. It is thicker than IJ180 (with cast lam), sticks perfectly, removes better, and costs under $484 for a 54"x150' and you do not laminate it. Less money, less labor, better looking finish, great removability. They offer small test rolls if you want to try it out - you just need to provide a UPS account number to cover a few bucks for the freight.

victor bogdanov

so for those who use a thicker vinyl with no lam, what do you squeegee with? no issues with the print scratching?
I use a regular felt squeegee, never had problems with scratching printed on Colorado. Eco solvent prints do need a few days before they are hard to scratch but after 48 hours or so it becomes impossible to scratch with fingernail on either of the materials I posted. The materials have texture so I think that helps with scratching

victor bogdanov

Just got this in as I was replying to this thread, risk you take using the removable materials. This wall looks kinda dirty, maybe closeup pictures will reveal a fine sand texture or maybe this paint has a chalky feel. (I did not do install)

Got some info back from the customer and in this case Stain/scrub resistant paint is the issue. Sherwin Williams showcase. Customer did not follow instructions that recommend additional adhesive when using this type of paint

1.png

Last edited:

Gerry_83

WW300

i have tried orajet 3268, orajet 3169 RA and phototex all with curling issues (some worse than other
40c or phototex. I've never seen curling on phototex tho. This really depends on the wall surface though (material, texture, voc paint, etc...)