• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website opinions

CanuckSigns

Hey all
We are in the process of redoing our website, We recently had our logo redone and need to update the site. We do quite a few different things here and we seem to appeal to a few different customer bases.

I had the thought of creating 2 seperate websites, one would cater towards our sign customers, which would showcase our signs, banners, tradeshow displays. lobby signs etc.

The other website would cater more towards our industrial/construction clients, it would showcase engraved plastic tags, work site safety signs, pipe markers, safety decals etc.

my question is, do you think the 2 website approach is correct (with different URL's)? or would a single site work with a link "for contractors"?

My thinking is that separate sites will make the reader think that we specialize in certain areas, rather than do a bit of everything.

Thanks
guys

Jim Doggett

Hey all
We are in the process of redoing our website, We recently had our logo redone and need to update the site. We do quite a few different things here and we seem to appeal to a few different customer bases.

I had the thought of creating 2 seperate websites, one would cater towards our sign customers, which would showcase our signs, banners, tradeshow displays. lobby signs etc.

The other website would cater more towards our industrial/construction clients, it would showcase engraved plastic tags, work site safety signs, pipe markers, safety decals etc.

my question is, do you think the 2 website approach is correct (with different URL's)? or would a single site work with a link "for contractors"?

My thinking is that separate sites will make the reader think that we specialize in certain areas, rather than do a bit of everything.

Thanks
guys

That would depend on how related / unrelated the services are, i.e., Signs and Mattress sales (yes!) But if the services are more closely related, I'd go with a Splash Page at your company's URL with options to go to the two sections.

FWIW

MatthewTimothy

i would do a single site. BUT my whole decision is based on that fact that you are coding the site with SEO in mind.

EDIT:
However you can always do 1 solid site and have seperated subdomains or a domain name forward to certain areas.

Craig Sjoquist

Since this a new start I tend to agree with Jim D. you already have a list of customers coming to your present site so if your new venture does take off and can hold it's own, then you can separate if needed.

JoshLoring

Depends. I have 4 sites and they all generate income.
Building a fourth one strictly for tradeshow displays and flags, banners etc as we speaks more is always better..
But remember.. If you don't have the time or money to invest in marketing the website- its pointless to have it