• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What programs to use.

WildWestDesigns

I would suggest Illustrator for the bulk of your work. Sticking with Adobe products (although morally wrong :) is your best bet as most people are used to some type of Adobe software to design artwork. Also, by committing to such an "industry standard" you ensure that your knowledge base and industry relevance will only grow stronger.

Everyone can crucify me for this but: Corel to me is like using "Hallmark Greeting Card Maker". If you went to school for graphic design, I can guarantee you would have to learn the Adobe suite.

The irony is, the industry standard software for me (which is significantly more then Flexi, I would love to have that Flexi bill) comes directly interfaced with Corel.

JoeBoomer said:
Programs like Adobe "Freehand" and other novelty software like that aren't even made anymore. Chances are you wouldn't even be able to install that on a new computer. Stick with Illustrator & Photoshop and you'll always be relevant.

For legacy (really legacy) software, my first inclination is try to to see if Linux with WINE will work. That way you would otherwise be relevant, but still have your favorite programs (in most instances from my experience, not to say that it will be the same for everyone).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The irony is, the industry standard software for me (which is significantly more then Flexi, I would love to have that Flexi bill) comes directly interfaced with Corel.

For legacy (really legacy) software, my first inclination is try to to see if Linux
with WINE will work. That way you would otherwise be relevant, but still have your favorite programs (in most instances from my experience, not to say that it will be the same for everyone).

The real question is.... will Bushmill work ?? :bushmill:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Not every design station needs output capability.

Most shops with multiple design stations will:

Design in Illustrator or Corel (including wraps)

-------

Then have a dedicated production station with a sign/rip like Flexi for output