• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl for inflatable rubber dinghy boat

kheebl

Have a buddy who has a zodiac rubber dinghy that he keeps on his large boat. He needs some boat registration numbers on there. So I cut a set out of 751 and after about a month they are starting to bubble (I'm guessing from out gassing of the rubber). What vinyl should I use. He wants nothing fancy just solid black letters. I have read about flame treating but I don't think he wants to try that on his boat lol.

He told me afterwards that most people paint the numbers on the rubber. But if I can figure out the correct vinyl to use he has a bunch of buddies at his marina who would most likely want some work done.

kheebl

here is a picture of what happened
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4222.jpg
    IMG_4222.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 129
Anything inflatable shrinks and expands with the heat of the day. I've never done vinyl on an inflatable rubber.... But my gut says make a stencil from cheap vinyl and paint.

letterman7

This has been asked before. There isn't a vinyl that is going to last long term on an inflatable. Flexible paints made for this purpose are commercially available. You'll need to know what the boat is actually made from.. most are hypalon, but best to double check. Another option is a simply flat panel that can be lashed to the boat.