• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the best way

hatmanok

How did you learn illustrator? Is it best to take a course like Lynda or get a good book on it? I really want to learn all I can about it. Thanks

Rodi

Do you know about vectors? Do you know design? Do you know about document set up? Personally, if you know corel, or some other vector art program, you will pickup Illustrator pretty quickly. If not write down your objectives and then you can figure out what you need to learn.

WildWestDesigns

It really depends on if you learn better from reading it or if you need the visual aid. Sometimes getting it both ways helps to reinforce everything.

I've done it both ways, but I know getting it 2 different "formats" helps me learn.

I don't really agree with knowing one vector program will help you with another one particularly when it comes from Ai->Draw or Draw->Ai. At least my knowing Ai didn't help me with learning Draw. But that will be dependent on the person.

Custom_Grafx

Do you know about vectors? Do you know design? Do you know about document set up? Personally, if you know corel, or some other vector art program, you will pickup Illustrator pretty quickly. If not write down your objectives and then you can figure out what you need to learn.

+1 on writing down what you want to learn first. Necessity will dictate where it goes from there for you.

Resources... jeez... there are too many. Youtube, books, playing around in your spare time, the help file, and on and on. You can also use this forum to ask questions, no?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There is an almost endless supply of AI training on line.
Some paid some free.
It really depends on how you like to learn.
The paid sites like Lynda.com have structured video series that will take you from zero to advanced.
The free ones are mix and match but you can still pick up the basics along with more advanced tips and tricks, this site has some good stuff:
http://layersmagazine.com/category/illustrator

If you need someone to guide you along check out your local community college, with today's economy there are bound to be some good deals on night classes for people looking to train up.

good luck

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You have been here for 3 years so you must know some vector program. If it's Corel you can google "Corel to Illustrator"... Adobe has this pdf about migrating to Illy from Corel. I do recommend Lynda.com

I learned by getting a job that had Illustrator. I had first learned Corel and it helped me. The most I learned was on design firm where we had sessions where we would get together and share tricks. After a while we all had learned some pretty advanced skills.

Rodi

I always think it is tough to learn a type of program, but if it is good, you will learn other similar programs. I learned on Freehand, I knew no other way for years, but when I had to learn Illustrator, I had the basic concepts of what a vector program could do. Going from there to another vector program is very easy (Flexi, Corel, Inkscape) you just pickup on the similarities and differences and exploit them.

Still love Freehand best (can't help myself :)

omgsideburns

I've been using illustrator for years, but I wasn't proficient with it until I took a class.

That being said, I'm severely adhd so I have a hard time making myself learn things unless I'm super interested in it.

2972renfro

youtube videos, lynda and just using everyday. I learn something new all the time just by using it. When I get stuck the help files will even teach you something. Some of the help files in cs5 link up to video tutorials

Tim Aucoin

+1 for Lynda.com
I have been "using" Illustrator for years now, and I'm also somewhat familiar with CorelDraw too (from way back when I used to use PC for design).

Some recent threads have re-ignited my passion to learn Illustrator, and I am a yearly subscriber of Lynda.com (best investment you'll make), so I decided (two days ago) to go through the entire Illustrator CS5 training (the one-on-one series with Deke McClelland). Great instructor in my opinion. At first, I was picking and choosing topics and I am being blown away by what I'm learning, but now I've decided to start at the basics and work my way through the classes in order!

My end goal is to become proficient at creating vector artwork and thinking outside the box! I'm no artist, but I do believe that with the proper training and lots of practice, anything is possible!

Yesterday, I learned (for the first time) about the (new) variable width stroke tool. Way, way, way cool!!! :clapping:

WildWestDesigns

so I decided (two days ago) to go through the entire Illustrator CS5 training (the one-on-one series with Deke McClelland). Great instructor in my opinion. At first, I was picking and choosing topics and I am being blown away by what I'm learning, but now I've decided to start at the basics and work my way through the classes in order!

I started doing the same thing. Picking and choosing what I wanted and leaving the rest, but it really does far better starting from the beginning even if it does appear to elemental at the start. Every now and again I still have to go back if something is required that I don't do often.

I do agree that Deke is one of the better instructors on there.

Fontgeek

I've been using Illustrator since it's second version, and while I took classes many years later, I learned the most by picking a project and forcing myself to do it all in Illustrator.
When I have down time, I tend to play with the tools, filters, etc. with an object to see what the various effects will be. Even if you are using a version that's many years old the program is amazing, it has amazing capabilities on it's own, and there are lots of third party filters and plug-ins that can increase the program's possibilities multifold.
Adobe's own "Classroom in a Book" for their software can be a great aid to many.
Keep in mind that the order you do things can make a severe difference in the outcome. There are some things that older versions of the program do better than the newer versions. The joys of keeping some of my older computers up and running in my office is that I can get the best of each versions capabilities.

signswi

Lynda, Adobe.tv, classes at a university. Illustrator is probably the program university design courses teach the best--to make a generalized statement.

Using it every day is the biggest one though. Just Use It™