• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's Your Method of Color Registration

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
something like this is how I would tackle it

Easier to do it this way. Cut a pertinent bounding rectangle that aligns with points of interest on the first layer for each subsequent layer.

layers1.jpg

Biker Scout

Wow! Such a hotly debatable subject. :Big Laugh I thought cut vinyl was way easier than this. Never had these head scratcher moments for plain 'ol vinyl.

But interesting read nonetheless. Seeing how people's minds wrap around a task. Tips from the old tymers is always a bonus. Maybe I'll get a speed press.

We cut two squares usually in the bottom left and right corners, but elsewhere if necessary. Before applying, I cut around the edges of each registration mark so as to be able to precisely line them up with the first set of marks. It's fast and precise with no need for wet application or guessing. Before applying the decals, I apply painters tape underneath where the registration marks will land so removal of said registration marks is easy.

Anything that requires more than 2 or 3 colors is generally printed.

Was this technique in some beginners guide to cut vinyl or something? How can so many people be using a similar technique?

I've always treated it like inlay wood, or marble flooring. Just cut both, weed what you don't need and lay in the new. Wet if necessary and it slides right into the void. Or if non critical install, just straight overlay.

So many people are likely using the same technique due to common sense. I avoid applying anything wet. Registration marks are simple and easy to set up. Seems like a nobrainer to me.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Squares or + signs. Or I simply use clear application tape and have perfect registration.

DizzyMarkus

Flexi reggies -- squares with an x cut through them. We also set multiple colors up like JHILL, no throwing out material just add more reggies where needed :0)

Markus

MikeD

Cross hairs for a job with a few colors. For jobs with more than 3, a series of squares that are in a straight line with no space between them

as stated in posts above, anything with that many colors is generally printed. the only time I overlay that much material is when a design calls for something that can't be processed through a printer

Last edited:

edgette

We cut two squares usually in the bottom left and right corners, but elsewhere if necessary. Before applying, I cut around the edges of each registration mark so as to be able to precisely line them up with the first set of marks. It's fast and precise with no need for wet application or guessing. Before applying the decals, I apply painters tape underneath where the registration marks will land so removal of said registration marks is easy.

Anything that requires more than 2 or 3 colors is generally printed.
I thought I came up with something new when I started doing this. This is the best way I have found so far. I usually make squares all around but only use the bottom left and top right. My biggest issue was trying to use clear transfer tape and apply the second layer. This way I use the paper tape that works best for me and the design is perfect every time.

JMPrinting

Just curious...

i havent done done any large layering, just small stuff and I eyeball.

Lets say I was laying the word "Registration" as indicated and was say 3ft long. Do you guys use clear vinyl to line up? Do you put reg marks on each corner? Line them all up at once and apply? Just curious how is is done

neil_se

We'd sometimes use clear application tape but usually just paper and that applying the layers one-by-one on the vehicle leads to the best finish.

I typically use squares in the corners, sometimes triangles if it's a pattern so that it's easy to tell which way is which.