• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When "your" customers get signage elsewhere

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
People have become very unorganized and last minute.
And cheap again.
I don't think it's inflation, I think people frivolously blew their money over the past couple years and being forced to sober up from their spending binge is painful.
Maybe it's just me but it seems that some accounts are taking longer to pay their bills now too. Ive been keeping my eye on a few, even ran a D&B on one last week before we did any more work for them.

Last edited:

PW66

People have become very unorganized and last minute.
A lot is down to the increase of online suppliers offering next day or 48hr lead times. They never take into account that those headline lead times only apply if the artwork is 100% 'camera ready'.
The customer genuinely thinks that a finished sign or t-shirt flies out of our @rses at the touch of a button.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I'll give a different spin on this "my customer" discussion. I live on a small island in the Caribbean. There's only a couple of printers, a couple of sign makers and a couple of t-shirt guys. When we had our 10,000 sf shop (just closed it after 50 years in the same location), my company did all three; printing, signs, tees PLUS promotional products. Being a small island, everybody knows everybody and all my competitors are acquaintances in passing. We all share the same customers. In fact, I have sometimes sent a customers to a competitor if they could do something specific that I couldn't (or I couldn't be bothered). I know my competitors do the same. I actually print vinyl from time to time for one competitor and get him to do my cut vinyl orders because its too fiddly for me even though I have a Graphtec. We all have to put food on the table and it seems we're all making good money.

Stacey K

I like making signs
And cheap again.
I don't think it's inflation, I think people frivolously blew their money over the past couple years and being forced to sober up from their spending binge is painful.
Maybe it's just me but it seems that some accounts are taking longer to pay their bills now too. Ive been keeping my eye on a few, even ran a D&B on one last week before we did any more work for them.
I think you could be right about that. Too much spending during covid. I have to be more careful in winter with bill collecting, some businesses are slower up here and they don't always have money until THEY get paid from some job they are doing.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've seen the syndrome a few times where a long time customer is suddenly getting signs from elsewhere.

The other day a young lady called up asking for their hardware store logo. I've sent these folks copies of their logo before, but it's pretty common for customers to lose art files. Anyway, I was asking her about what file formats she needed and she was a bit confused by the jargon. She admitted she needed the art files for getting some banners made. I told her we make banners. She said she thought we only made big electrical signs. I replied we make everything from little cheap yard signs to high rise lighted signs and most things in between. We can make your banners too. I think she realized she let the cat out of the bag and just got off the phone line with me.

One thing that really annoys me, some "customers" will come to us first, but with no actual intention of buying anything from us. But they still want to use us to figure out what kinds of signs they actually need since we're "a real sign company." They want to get us to do all sorts of leg work for free, like going to their business to survey the building or measure an existing sign structure. Of course they want to see multiple sketches and revisions. The final part of the ploy is taking our bid and sketches to other rival sign companies to see if they can get the same work done cheaper.

The trick is figuring out which customers are actually serious about buying something versus the clowns that only want to waste your time and efforts. When we can spot the price shoppers we'll just give those folks a flat price without drawing anything.

Gene@mpls said:
Just noticed I am a new member- interesting.

I was annoyed by the same problem. It's just a default label. You have to go into your member profile and edit the tag.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
WTF, glad you turned it down, but why the f*ck does someone in Idaho care about little old me?

Just tell him it's out front, key's in it. He'll have someone there in a jiffy...
Did I post about the time I got my bucket truck stolen, from a big name crane dealership. They had a cow until they found out the transmission guy they use frequently just picked up 'the white truck out front'.

Maybe I didn't clarify. This equipment is a 40 yard dumpster. It's keyless. I can't move it an inch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The very first one I did, I threw alotta crap in there and they gave me some real sh!t for doing it.