• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Wide Format Pricing Calculator

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Hello!

We set up a wide format pricing calculator to help shops quote out their wide format printing. I'll make some videos on how to use it, but right now, I am looking for some feedback. What do you think of the format, and the logic?

You can make a copy in order to make it editable for you.

It does basic nesting/imposition calculations if you're not using a "Square Foot" material.

We're still working out some of the bugs as well.

Please give me your feedback!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Looks awesome Gene, this must have taken some time to set up!

I'm getting errors when selecting roll media - seems to work well with rigids after some quick testing. (Says error: no match for all totals when selecting any roll media)

gnubler

Wow, that's thorough! Looks like something Stacey might put together. ;)
I'll play around with it and post feedback.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm hung up on the values that were in initially, how can you spend just 24 minutes printing 100 signs (10 sheets according to my maths), but then take 90 minutes to cut them all apart?
I like it, very thorough, kinda kicks the crap out of our old erp system that we're using.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
What do you think of the format, and the logic?
As prescribed by Claris, a problem or solution statement...

Design <a feature or an app>
for <who you’re designing it for>
to <what they will do with the app>
so <resulting benefit.>

I suggest the end result layout show all key information on a printable 8.5 x 11 as a single record, likely as a single line item because sign making can be complex. As a manner of record, the effort should display a Quote ID number, the line item ID number, the requester's name, the requester's company / account name, the Quote date, the formal name of the shop's product, and a line of text referencing the item as the customer knows it or refers to it.

The effort is not only to calculate costs and pricing but to also store and retrieve the record. At worst, that might be a stack of stapled papers in a file cabinet as a single quote.

More later.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Further...

Substrates, Laminates, Accessories, Printer (Machines), and Labor can all be a single table. They are all components. Their primary vendor can also be included within each component record.

FireSprint.com

Further...

Substrates, Laminates, Accessories, Printer (Machines), and Labor can all be a single table. They are all components. Their primary vendor can also be included within each component record.

within FileMaker, I’d probably do it that way or close to it. The reason I chose to do it this way on this spreadsheets Is because people don’t think like databases. I felt like it might be less overwhelming to keep categories on separate sheets.

Totally agree on yet another sheet that can be printed off in the form of a quote. I’ll add that soon!

Thanks again for the wonderful feedback!

FireSprint.com

I'm hung up on the values that were in initially, how can you spend just 24 minutes printing 100 signs (10 sheets according to my maths), but then take 90 minutes to cut them all apart?
I like it, very thorough, kinda kicks the crap out of our old erp system that we're using.
Yeah don’t mind the time values. Just what was last in there during testing. Not a real world scenario at all.

I do plan to include some fairly realistic material and printer specs in time though. Of course this (and frankly everything) is all editable by the user.

FireSprint.com

You need to adjust the time. It would come out to $417 if you tell the calculator it’s going to take you 2.5 hours to design, cut, and install one sign.

Put in a realistic time, and be sure to adjust your shops monthly expenses.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
You need to adjust the time. It would come out to $417 if you tell the calculator it’s going to take you 2.5 hours to design, cut, and install one sign.

Put in a realistic time, and be sure to adjust your shops monthly expenses.
took me a minute to figure it out. thanks!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Here is mine for Wide Format.
I'm wondering what your process is after using the calculator to, say, arrive at pricing for a line item or more. Do you save individual spreadsheet files with certain names or just copy the figures to another solution or ?

ThatGuy

I'm wondering what your process is after using the calculator to, say, arrive at pricing for a line item or more. Do you save individual spreadsheet files with certain names or just copy the figures to another solution or ?
Once the size or sizes is input into the spreadsheet and the "complexity" time (design & customer consultation time) is chosen, the price is added to a line item on a quickbooks quote. I do not save simple calculations.
I have other spreadsheets for computer cut vinyl and many for rigid panels. If it is a more complicated job requiring multiple items of different types, I have a worksheet that I save with the job/estimate number as a reminder of how price was derived.
I usually update material pricing once a year.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Alright everyone. I fixed a bunch of bugs, added a bunch more features, and created a video tutorial on how to use the price guide. Here's what you need:

Calc: https://www.firesprint.com/cms.php?page=wide-format-pricing-calculator

Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8WwabEFp7CbEaZTx4ewKT-qlNX0DHOoi
This is awesome, thanks for doing all this Gene!! Been playing around with it this morning and I think this is going to be super valuable for us.

FireSprint.com

Awesome. I am glad you find it helpful! If you think there would be useful changes, or upgrades, I always welcome the feedback!