• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

will not open previously made files

duggan

I designed some images in CorelDraw X3 and saved them as a cdr file. Now when I am trying to open them to edit or whatever, it is giving me a message saying "Error in reading (drive name and file)".
It will open some of my cdr files, but not all of them. The ones that it won't open don't have anything in common. Some are big and some are somewhat small in size. The weird part about all of this is when I am in the "Open" Dialog box and I click on the file, and I can see a preview/thumbnail of the image, but can't open it!
Does anyone have any suggestions?

cdiesel

Try copying the file into a different directory. Sometimes Corel will think the files are already open or in use somewhere else for some reason..

dclet

Sometimes Corel will think the files are already open or in use somewhere else for some reason..

heh did coreldraw tell you that? silly....

Duggan your files are probably corrupted, lots of reasons...
Hard drive failing, pc crash? voltage drop, some kind of interruption during the write.... they may indeed be unrecoverable.

CorelDRAW! makes autobackups. Search your drive for em.

they are named like "Back_up_of_ yourfile.cdr.

If they are real important, post something on coreldraw.com
though i can't promise you, I have noticed several people get help directly form Corel, and have a file "fixed"

Be sure to back up files regularly....