• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will there be a Omega 6.0?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As per the title, anyone know if there are plans for further significant upgrades?

My understanding is that Omega will not be developed any further other than bug fixes etc. and that 5.0 is the end of the line for Omega.

S11930

that would be a shame if gerber stopped at 5.0

They were the go to for sign making. They let Flexi crush them by not having the software or innovations that are necessary. I hope Gerber survives. They should stop supporting legacy programs like the 4b's and graphic advantage. Stop supporting windows 95 users put your resources to the future.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
They were the go to for sign making. They let Flexi crush them by not having the software or innovations that are necessary. I hope Gerber survives. They should stop supporting legacy programs like the 4b's and graphic advantage. Stop supporting windows 95 users put your resources to the future.

They don't support 4-B's and Graphix Advantage ... or Windows 95 users. The issue is that they have a corporate culture of being non-competitive and only play when the profit margins are very high. 25 years ago they sold the first Graphix Advantage systems. They were tied to a computer that could not be replaced. On a 286 they charged $11K and the same software on a 486 was $25K. Their greed made easy targets out of themselves for CasMate and others.

LarryB

Gerber will be out of business before long. How can one survive on making the Gerber Edge their flagship product? Just a matter of time.

Techman

Gerber sign making may go out

However gerber is well into many other products that span multiple industries. They will be around for a long time.
They include Aerospace, textiles, transportation, furniture, packaging, mining oil and gas..

Billct2

Such a shame, but they have no one to blame but themselves. There machines invented computerized sign making. And they made great machines, their plotters and the Edge
are some of the best stuff ever built. I still like Omega for sign design, some of it's design capabilities can't be beat. But their approach to the software and customer service, along with some real product failures drove many away and the new cheap software and plotters kept new customers from trying their products.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
For monument people, their software and hardware are dang near bullet proof. I'm running an almost 25 year-old GS15 and it makes me money every time I turn it on.

JB