• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 8

SignManiac

I can't justify replacing three 23" monitors with new touch screens, and knowing MicroSoft, something will be buggy about the new version. I have been a lifetime user of MS and cursed every new OS they came out with. I use it because I have to and don't really have a better choice. Plus, I don't like the idea of having finger prints and smudges all over my screens. It's clever but not really necessary to the way I work now.

WildWestDesigns

I can't justify replacing three 23" monitors with new touch screens, and knowing MicroSoft, something will be buggy about the new version. I have been a lifetime user of MS and cursed every new OS they came out with. I use it because I have to and don't really have a better choice. Plus, I don't like the idea of having finger prints and smudges all over my screens. It's clever but not really necessary to the way I work now.

You don't have to replace with touchscreens, based on the speech it isn't necessary. There were showing it being used on computers that didn't have that interface.

Windows 7 I haven't had any bugs crop up, but I know some have, just depends on what you use it for. Now going back to Windows 95, I remember when that horrid thing first came out. That was awful.

David Wright

Agreed, touch screen is just one aspect. He said mouse interaction can be used.
I wish I could keep customers from touching my regular monitor.

Arm fatigue would definitely come into play except on tablets.

Jim Doggett

I agree, albeit, my Windows upgrading has always been pretty painless; nothing too buggy to report, in my experience.

I think they want to make Windows work like a smart phone, which is a love/hate for me. Love Android, hate touch-screen typing (must have tactile keys!!!! :^)

So mouse and keyboard are going to be tough to get away from; and if I'm using them, I want the control there and not have to swipe / poke the monitor. But it's probably the future. So I'll have to adapt, I guess.

One irony is that I began 25 years ago on a dumb terminal attached to a Unix network. And we're heading back that way, with everything (soon all our apps, too) being remotely hosted with our phones/computers merely being dumb terminals on steroids. LOL

CheapVehicleWrap

You'd be surprised how often you WOULDN'T use a touch screen. The only real use is POS & MAYBE cop cars... Ever watch them fumble with those when shutting down an engine on a decoy car? I had a 19" for 15 years and have a real decent 17" now (I've mostly used it to control a CNC mill). Now, the Cintiqe 21", that gets used as much as all the other screens.

CheapVehicleWrap

One irony is that I began 25 years ago on a dumb terminal attached to a Unix network. And we're heading back that way, with everything (soon all our apps, too) being remotely hosted with our phones/computers merely being dumb terminals on steroids. LOL

Ain't that the truth!

CheapVehicleWrap

It's not so much we don't need it but the ergonomics don't really work. If you're a bartender, yes. I've mounted them every way possible and it's just nowhere near as comfortable to replace a mouse for anything other than a couple of clicks. You have NO idea how uncomfortable it is to lift your arm that many times (even just a few). On a droid phone it does work VERY well, I'll never have a keyboard on a phone again. It also works very well on my camcorder. But here you're not moving or lifting your arm. The best scenario I could think of is FLAT, but the failed takeover of the "surface" shows that doesn't work either. If it did, we would have lost the mouse over a decade ago.

Joe Diaz

All I know is, outside of phones, the only process I personally would prefer a tablet over keyboard and mouse is illustrating. Other than the asus Eee slate, I have yet to see a whole lot of tablets come close to offering what I believe makes a great tablet for graphic designers. This surprises me because it seems like such a good fit.

Now I'm not talking about these little sketch apps that you can download from an app store for fun. I'm talking the real deal. The software the pros use. Something for professional output that I can make money using.

So I would love to have a tablet with a wacom digitizer complete with pressure sensitivity, and a digitizer pen.

Then the software: For me Corel Painter would be a must, the ability to use coreldraw would be great too. Now if I could get that in a lightweight relatively reasonably priced package, I would be good to go.

I think the new OS would be perfect for my tablet needs. Finally a real desktop like OS with an interface perfect for touch input devices. Now I can use my software of choice.

Techman

I was in LAs vegas last week at a marketing seminar. The technology displayed was out of the future.

They demo'd a glass counter top that was touch operated. The size was the typical counter for a kitchen. They dragged a photo from a smart phone screen onto the counter top display. Enlarged it and moved it around and rotated it like it was an actual photo.

There was plenty of room to operate a touch keyboard, surf the net, watch a movie stream, and talk to someone on the phone. This is not coming. It is here.

They operated a number of devices from that display including wall mounted displays.

Touch displays have a coating that is resistance to human oils and other dirt. Smudges are a thing of the past.

Yellow pages as a marketing tool are dead. This is a fact that. Newspapers are on life support. Direct mail is holding its own. But the rising star is still in its infancy. Can any one say what this rising star is?

WildWestDesigns

So I would love to have a tablet with a wacom digitizer complete with pressure sensitivity, and a digitizer pen.

I thought about getting a Fujistu that was close to how my Cintiq operates for Ai and my embroidery programs.

I think the touchscreen is more apt for tablets and laptops then desktops, but then again, the ball and chain has an HP touchscreen that gets used all the time as a touchscreen, so it really just depends. Although for the most part I see it as a novelty item for desktops, there are a few extreme cases otherwise.