• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows

WOODBS

i am looking at a laptop for design. how does vista work with photoshop and flexi? anyone using it? i thought i saw a post about vista not being compatible or something?

SignBurst PCs

I, personally, would never attempt to use a laptop for design. I am not trying to push our computers by saying this, it is just something that I hear a lot.

Laptops do not have near the performance of a desktop, even the custom RAID laptops.

We build custom laptops too, but for design, it is a bad road to travel.

Vista works well with Photoshop and only the newest version of Flexi supports Vista (8.5?).

WOODBS

thanks, but i am using it sort of temporary. only when we travel, just so i can continue workin

SignBurst PCs

It would work for temp / travel. Since it is a vista system, there are a couple things that I would recommend though:

1. AT LEAST 2GB of RAM (4GB would be best)
2. NVIDIA or ATI video card (Intel is OK, but not ideal)
3. 7200 RPM hard drive
4. Core2Duo processor (not CoreDuo)

WOODBS

the notebook i was looking at only comes w/ vista. so i will look for another one or just upgrade again..thanks

peavey123

I, personally, would never attempt to use a laptop for design. I am not trying to push our computers by saying this, it is just something that I hear a lot.

Laptops do not have near the performance of a desktop, even the custom RAID laptops.

We build custom laptops too, but for design, it is a bad road to travel.

Vista works well with Photoshop and only the newest version of Flexi supports Vista (8.5?).

What about a MAC book pro? (as far as designing with photoshop and illy)

SignBurst PCs

What about a MAC book pro? (as far as designing with photoshop and illy)

Yeah, still same thing.

MacBook Pro is still slower than a Mac Pro desktop (similar specs).

PC notebook is slower than a PC desktop (similar specs).

Macs have the same hardware limitations that PCs do. They use the same hardware as PCs.

If you are designing smaller stuff or using it in a pinch, a notebook might be acceptable.

But for fulltime use, in a production environment, you are handicapping yourself using a notebook.