• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wordpress help!

MARSERdesigns

Im in the process of taking over a site that is currently ran thru wordpress or is a blog site. http://www.familyfirstmagazine.com/

I have a wordpress blog for my personal site, but only used a theme and never modified it.

Im stumped!! I don't even know how to put it in words, but I will try.

The current webmaster is holding the site hostage from the current owner. I know with a normal xhtml/css site you upload all the information to a ftp client. Does wordpress work like that as well? I have all the access to the wordpress log in, just dont have the Hosting site information. My main question is once I obtain the information and gather all the items from the current host/ftp and transfer them to my host, do I upload them to my ftp and wordpress will automatically know what to do with it?

Sorry for the lengthy post!

MatthewTimothy

if you are asking questions like this maybe you are not set to be a web manager. The process is the exact same thing as setting up any site. If you have access to all the original files and YOU or the client control the domain name than it can hold it hostage as long as he wants but you can host it. Now if he holds the domain name hostage than your client is screwed and needs a new name. The only thing that might be an issue is if Wordpress is hosting it for him and he was the original one to set it up then technically he owns it, not your client.

MARSERdesigns

the client has access to the domain name and to the wordpress page. The other person owns the hosting.

I am logged on to the wordpress page and am looking thru the "edit theme" section, I see the .css file. Just because the css file is displayed, that doesn't mean that all the content is there i.e. images...right?

again, forgive me to being new to wordpress (everyone starts somewhere)

Mike F

so then it is all hosted thru wordpress?

If the other person was taking care of the hosting, you're pretty much boned. You could install a backup plugin like BackupToDropbox, and that'll give you all your wordpress files and a copy of the database, but unless you know how migrate to a new server and how to edit the database for the new host, they're kinda useless to you. Also, it's probably illegal to grab the files and database if the server the site is hosted on is in the other guy's name.