• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work Orders

Brad147

I think the point to these kinds of forms (and forms in general) is to differentiate between what information you need, and the information you just thought about and added to fill the empty space.

Case in point. The POS system we use has a system for adding customer information; here's what it asks for:

View attachment 171236

I know that one could argue that this is all useful information. But, come on. Do we really need an office phone number, cell phone AND an additional phone number? Is job Authority critical information? When has country ever been anything but the US? Is Industry type relevant? And what do we need a birthday for? Anyone here want to ask their female customers what their birthday is? How about we add a field where we can enter the weight of the customer (why not)?

Almost all of this we leave blank, and that's why I say that it is poorly designed and a waste of time.

Whatever you do, take the time to really ask yourself if the information is useful. Is it really useful? Why?

The goal (in my opinion) is to make any form sleek and efficient - easy to fill out, has the info you'll need, and nothing else.
Thanks. I am firm believer in NOT reinventing the wheel so getting some samples / templates makes the job a little easier. I agree the information will be different from business to business but it does help. Thank you all.