• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Workflow suggestions for multiple transfer decals?

MGB_LE

We are low low volume Summa users, until a handful of decal jobs came through our shop. We have 1000 cut lettering decals, 13"w x 2"h, cutting out of Avery tangerine vinyl.
We can run through GoSign for the contour cutting, and even to final trim size, but how to best get them trimmed down to final size and apply transfer tape? Surely we don't want to apply transfer tape to 1000 of these decals individually. What's the best workflow to trim these and apply transfer tape?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yep. Cut, weed, add premask, trim into strips then singles with a guillotine.

Or cut 99% through your first cut for all the rows, rotate sheet then cut right through on other axis.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do the same thing as weyandsign. When you print, Take into consideration your masking size. Mine is 24" wide and I print 54" wide so I lay it out so I can cut down the middle of the 54" and mask two long sheets like maybe 8' long. Then trim everything down as stated above. If you don't have a paper cutter, order a cheap one on amazon trust me, way easier and way faster than a scissor. I have something like this and it's primarily used for cutting decals apart.

JBurton

Signtologist
Summa flatbed? Why not include registration marks in your vinyl, cut lettering, weed, apply mask, mark registration through mask (or remove mask that is over reg marks, then run just the perimeter cuts on the flatbed.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

MGB_LE

I do the same thing as weyandsign. When you print, Take into consideration your masking size. Mine is 24" wide and I print 54" wide so I lay it out so I can cut down the middle of the 54" and mask two long sheets like maybe 8' long. Then trim everything down as stated above. If you don't have a paper cutter, order a cheap one on amazon trust me, way easier and way faster than a scissor. I have something like this and it's primarily used for cutting decals apart.

So this is cut vinyl, and there's no printing involved. We're just cutting the letters and logo out of a 48" wide roll. They're 13" x 2" roughly, so I figured 3 across the 48". I have a 54" roll of transfer tape, which I could trim down to 48" to match the vinyl. Maybe we run the roll of vinyl through our laminator to apply the premask, then run the roll through the Summa?

JBurton

Signtologist
You'd get a lot more mileage out of your material running them 2" across the 48" side, at 13" your losing 7"!

Stacey K

I like making signs
So this is cut vinyl, and there's no printing involved. We're just cutting the letters and logo out of a 48" wide roll. They're 13" x 2" roughly, so I figured 3 across the 48". I have a 54" roll of transfer tape, which I could trim down to 48" to match the vinyl. Maybe we run the roll of vinyl through our laminator to apply the premask, then run the roll through the Summa?
This is what I would do because I have yet to use my kiss-cut feature. I would cut sheets at a time that I can handle easily. No need to cut your masking down ahead just mask it with the overlap and cut it down after. I don't like to cut more than 4-6' feet at a time if I can help it. Then as the other sheets are cutting I can get the previous one cut, weeded and masked. Do you have a teenager at home? They LOVE cutting down the decals - NOT but I make mine do it anyway LOL

1699470365399.png

JBurton

Signtologist
You could even add gaps between the decals where the rollers would ride, allowing it to not slip when it transitions over an already kisscut sticker.

ikarasu

On graphtec I usually do a "print and cut" so it has the registration marks.... Then I cut them out with the registration marks. Weed it... Pre mask it, use the "printed" registration marks to put it back in and perf cut it.
I'm sure there's a way to do it on summa as well, but I haven't used one in forever so no idea.... Should be easy enough though. Or worst case just print an empty file with registration marks, our printer ignores white space, so it'd take like 30 mins to print a full roll of registration marks.

Last edited:

ikarasu

I'm.... I just can't. Tried 3 times now.
Haha... Funny thing is I started proof reading my posts before hitting reply because I fatfinger a lot on my new phone.

I read about 80% of it.... Said good enough and hit enter. Stopped right before that one... Fixed now!