• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

0010 Scan motor error

Desert_Signs

I'm essentially down right now and waiting on a tech (which is soon, I hope, but not sure).

The past few days my printer started making a clunking/knocking sound when the carriage gets over to the left side of the machine. The sound intensifies at it gets to left side of the print. For the first 2-3' of print it's fine, then the noise starts. After 15 or 20 passes with the clunking noises, I get error 0010 and the carriage stops. Always at the left edge of the print.

Thoughts?

[video=youtube;RqE1MyU428Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqE1MyU428Q[/video]

lovely_rt

Scan motor error 0010 is a "Scan Motor Deviation Error".
The service manual suggest's the following causes:
Possible causes by user:
1. Media Jam
2. Pull or Move the Carriage by hands.
3. Carriage runs into a thing/hands.
4. Media is stuck because the media end is not separated from the paper tube.
5. Heavy media is used.

Possible causes by mechanical:
1. There is a bad contact/cut-line in the cable.
2. Screw fixing the tool carriage to wire is shifted.
3. Motor is broken./Life
4. Head/Servo Board is broken.

Schickworks

i dont wnat to be "chicken little" but that doesnt sound good at all. i've have that scan motor error but it was always when it was loading the media. it was a simple calibration issue and had to get the carriage back where the computer thought it was. It didnt make that noise while it was printing though. I really hope that its not as bad as it sounds. i really do.

Desert_Signs

OK, slight update (still down though).

The sound appears to be coming from the cut carriage. I spoke to a tech and he suggested cleaning and oiling the rail. I noticed the head carriage slid very freely when pushed to the left. A light push would send it almost the whole length of the machine. A similar push to the right would net just a few inches of movement. I cleaned and oiled the rail and it got much better. Printed an 8' banner. OK. Printed some vinyl, OK. Then hit sheet cut. I could hear the same noise coming from the cut carriage as it moved across the platen. Are there ball bearings in there on the back? Could they be failing?

Desert_Signs

Fingers crossed, for now.

I pulled the linear bearing off the back of the cut carriage and removed it from the machine. I cleaned it out and greased it, reinstalled it upside down. So far, it's running much smoother. I have 50' to print tonight so we'll see...

I found the company that makes the bearings and have the part number, I'm hoping I can figure out a way to order 3 of them so I can replace all of them on the rail.

player

Fingers crossed, for now.

I pulled the linear bearing off the back of the cut carriage and removed it from the machine. I cleaned it out and greased it, reinstalled it upside down. So far, it's running much smoother. I have 50' to print tonight so we'll see...

I found the company that makes the bearings and have the part number, I'm hoping I can figure out a way to order 3 of them so I can replace all of them on the rail.

You would not consider ordering them from Roland?

Desert_Signs

You would not consider ordering them from Roland?

If Roland sold them, I would consider it. They, however, do not. They will sell you the entire rail for $1300. The bearing blocks are about $70, at least that's the pricing I could find.

On the dark side, I errored out again. Although it's not making a horrible clanking anymore...

lovely_rt

I would suggest checking your scan motor hours, as it may be near the end of it's life.
Also Roland only sells the bearings with the rail because they are a matched set.

Alpha Star

You sure it's not the data cable for the cut carriage getting tangled? That would explain it happening on the one side and the scan motor error.

Karen-Kang

I'm essentially down right now and waiting on a tech (which is soon, I hope, but not sure).

The past few days my printer started making a clunking/knocking sound when the carriage gets over to the left side of the machine. The sound intensifies at it gets to left side of the print. For the first 2-3' of print it's fine, then the noise starts. After 15 or 20 passes with the clunking noises, I get error 0010 and the carriage stops. Always at the left edge of the print.

Thoughts?

[video=youtube;RqE1MyU428Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqE1MyU428Q[/video]

what is your printer model? the scan motor is the the new one you just replaced?

Desert_Signs

Well, I had to suck it up and get the whole new rail. :banghead:

You apparently DO have to buy the whole thing. Tech came and put it in today. I got lucky and they just happened to have one in stock in town. Let me tell you, if you think a head is expensive... :ROFLMAO:

Running smooth now!

Desert_Signs

Yeah, and also, what caused the problem to begin with?

Close to $2k. Included a full printhead alignment, replaced wipers, dampers, manifolds, encoder sensor, etc.

The problem was the bearings just wore out. They are a rectangular block that rides on the rail. Inside the block is a row of ball bearings top and bottom that ride on the rail. One of them was missing several balls. Bearings wear out eventually, and this machine has a lot of hours on it.

stxrmxn

I have a similar problem, Printer simply stopped halfway through a job.
Scan motor error 0010
Tried cleaning, looking for obvious errors but found none.
When i turn on the printer noting moves.
It says processing then just comes up with the error.

Ragnabrok

0010 Deviation error is either the motor itself is broken, or something is slipping. very loose drive belt/cable, bad connection from the drive belt to the carriage, gears slipping between motor and drive pulley.

If the motor is 3+ years old and well used, it's likely the issue.

stxrmxn

0010 Deviation error is either the motor itself is broken, or something is slipping. very loose drive belt/cable, bad connection from the drive belt to the carriage, gears slipping between motor and drive pulley.

If the motor is 3+ years old and well used, it's likely the issue.

Hi thanks.
Everything like belts seem fine
Nothing appears to be slipping
Free movement
No noises or indication before stopping.
Printer is 7 years old and has performed like a beast barely stopping in that time so i guess i had a pretty good run.
Had a latex installed 2 weeks ago but having some issues getting Flexi to perf cut (another story) so i have a back up thank my lucky stars.

jagsouthern

Scan motor error 0010 is a "Scan Motor Deviation Error".
The service manual suggest's the following causes:
Possible causes by user:
1. Media Jam
2. Pull or Move the Carriage by hands.
3. Carriage runs into a thing/hands.
4. Media is stuck because the media end is not separated from the paper tube.
5. Heavy media is used.

Possible causes by mechanical:
1. There is a bad contact/cut-line in the cable.
2. Screw fixing the tool carriage to wire is shifted.
3. Motor is broken./Life
4. Head/Servo Board is broken.
I get this scan motor error all the time but its only after the print is done.
So how to I prevent it from happening?