• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1/2" Plexi

gfxsigns

Any recommendations on polishing 1/2" plexi? I have ordered small stands from a local shop in the past and for $30 for a 6" x 1' send standing plate/stand the edges look unreal!

I can't seem to find any good information online about finishing the edges on plexi...we have a high end blade for our saw when we cut it down and in the past have used water and a sander but the end result is usually a couple of hours and nowhere near the nice edges of the plastic company...

Mosh

We sand smooth and hit the edge with a torch. Practice this and you can get some good results.

Letterbox Mike

Yup, what Mosh said. Sand with progressive finer sandpaper until it's as smooth as possible. Be careful with the torch, if it gets too hot it will bubble. Alot of very quick light passes are what you want.

gfxsigns

thanks everyone, we have done the flame polishing before and it looks great-any recommendations on say how long a 2'x4'peice should take the average person to polish/complete?

astro8

I have ordered small stands from a local shop in the past and for $30 for a 6" x 1' send standing plate/stand the edges look unreal!

If you see acrylic that the cut sides look just as good as the face it's been diamond polished, especially the thicker stuff 1/2", 1".

Flame polishing is pretty good when the acrylic is straight off a cnc router (especially with a water mister).