• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1/4" inch acrylic on a curved wall?

Angela

I am wondering if I can lay 1/4" acrylic with silicon on a curved wall and not worry about a stud mount? The capital letter is 24" with the others around 12". Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Angela

2 sided just doesn't seem sturdy enough. I guess I should have said the actual sign will be about 13 feet in width.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's a 13' panel? or Individual Letters?

What is the radius of the wall?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
if it's one piece, regardless of radius, it will NOT work

this has happened to me, had to replace it and the door handle the sign chopped off on its way to the ground.... (5' x 5')

it was on a flat wall, but the wall was poorly made and had a slight bow to it....

John Butto

Vhb 4941

why not 2 sided tape?
He is right about the double sided tape because you will have to hold that .25" thick letter for a long time until the silicone sets up. Use both the VHB 4941 (this will stick to any kind of wallpaper) and the silicone to hold but I would use the stud mount with silicone to put them in place.

Angela

These would be individual letters. I am not sure of the curvature on the wall. I am also worried that the 1/4" acrylic will not be bendable enough or even at all.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is it a tight radius?

Inner radius or outer?

Another question, are they overhead?

Interior or exterior?

Last thing you need is someone getting clipped by a flying letter, most municipalities are now requiring mechanical attachment on overhead lettering.

If the radius is really tight, 1/4" Acrylic letters are not that bendable without some heat applied... but heating them has some risk. A panel solution might have been a better alternative.

You could make a backer with studs, then VHB the acrylic letters to the backer, then install with silicone and VHB. The letters will not follow the radius, but if the radius is not tight, it will not look bad and be safe.

Angela

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it, I will go with the stud mount as it is outdoor and on a busy road. Like Rick said I do not need a letter flying into some cars windshield.