• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1080p

Bradster941

Is the resolution on a 1080p LCD or Plasma TV high enough to use as a design computer monitor?

( HD-grade (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution )

:help

cgsigns_jamie

I have a 46" 1080p Samsung LCD that I use a secondary monitor for my laptop. I sit about 4 feet away from it and work's great as a monitor.

I don't know if I'd use it all day as a design computer though, unless it was set back further. I find myself moving my head around to see things on the screen because it's so large. Maybe a smaller display would work better, I don't think you can get 1080p in anything smaller than a 32" though.

P

ProWraps™

i have my media center pc on my 55" lcd. works great. have a wireless keyboard/touchpad so i can sit on the couch and surf the web. just requires some playing with the resolution/hz on the pc.

choucove

That is really going to depend upon the size of the monitor and your personal preference for desktop size. The desktop size on a 1920 x 1080 23" monitor is going to be much different than a 1920 x 1080 46" monitor. If you are specifically looking for something to do design work on, and it has to be big, 1080p is about the best quality you can get for the price of course. It again just comes to your personal preference for normal resolution size and what is comfortable for you to see and read with. I've run my computer on a 1080p 50" Toshiba LCD and it was beautiful, but to use it as a normal desktop I don't think I'd be comfortable with it on a regular basis. If you're planning on using it for media it wouldn't be much of a problem, but there's just way too much physical screen to view to be comfortable on my eyes for very long.

Conor Knoxx

I have a 42inch hooked up for a multi-media centre.
Awesome for graphics, pics, movies etc..

Load up some internet web pages though, and try to read the text...
you can, but its not nearly as sharp as you might expect.

As was mentioned before, thats a good a number of pixels - but on a surface that large, its still a relatively "coarse" resolution for fine detail.

Bradster941

Thanks Guys,

I currently have a 27” 720 tv I use on my rip station and while not bad for this purpose, it isn’t so great when running Photo Shop on it thus was wondering if 1080 would offer enough resolution.

I agree about size, and the smallest I’ve seen is 32” in 1080 until the other day when I was shopping at Sams Club. They now have a 26” 1080p for a few hundred dollars.

So, we are saying it will work.
But, am I to assume that a True computer monitor offers higher resolution and that is the difference here?

Thanks all,

Brad.

choucove

Generally speaking, a computer monitor is built to support higher resolutions when they are larger sized monitors. However, when you start searching for QXWSGA screens (panels with higher than 1080p resolution) that's when things get pretty expensive.

There is little difference really between an LCD monitor and LCD TV anymore beside integrated features like connectivity or TV tuner. In fact, the monitor I use is actually a Samsung HDTV (this one). It's just a smaller size so it's still a good resolution at full 1080p for working on the desktop. If you are looking at anything larger than about 26" though and plan to do a lot of design work, then something with a higher resolution than 1080p might be ideal, but very expensive.

javila

Yes, the issue is whether it's comfortable or not.

My current 24" is 1920x1200. It's great for all programs, I'm abou two or three feet away.. If you're gonna use a 46" tv that's the same res, you'll need to be a lot further back to be able to do anything without hurting your neck.