• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

11 foot HDU sign

luggnut

i have a request for a 11 foot HDU sandblasted sign... do they make it that size or do i have to make a blank?

if the blank has to be made are there any methods anyone want to share?

signmeup

11 x what? Single faced?
I glue HDU blanks up all the time. Get some urethane glue and have at it. I have backed up single face signs with dibond but most use sintra from what I've read on the net. Most of the signs I make with HDU have two separate panels glued together over a steel frame.

luggnut

one sign is 3x11 and another is 4x11. so you would back them with dibond and glue together only?

signmeup

I would want to see more info on what you are building before I could offer up any suggestions. Like are you going to bolt it to a wall or hang it between posts?

I've done one 14 foot x 2 foot sign backed with dibond. It's too soon to tell if it was a good idea. It's been up for about a year and it seems fine.

I glued the dibond and HDU so that the dibond overlapped the joint in the HDU. It was nice and solid.

I'm more concerned with the thing expanding and contracting with the weather than the glue failing.

Danthonia Designs does all it's HDU signs with a pvc foam board (Sintra) backing. They use some sort of 3M double stick tape to laminate the two together. I can tell you that urethane glue is way stronger than HDU so I have no worries about using it to laminate HDU to Sintra.

A

Aaron SDF

You would have to create a blank, standard sizes of HDU are 4x8. The largest i believe is 4x10.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, we had to replace a 42" x 108" HDU carved panel. When we got there, we couldn't tell what made it break in half. No signs of vandalism, no signs of being hit with force from a car or otherwise..... just a clean break. It was 2" think. Also, it was only a year or so old at the time and the other shop refused to fix it for free. Only thing we could tell was it was either forced in too tight and had a slight bow..... or too much bird guano buildup in the center. It had a 1/2" sintra or similar board for the backer. We matched everything completely on the face of the sign, but we used an angle aluminum 2" system and framed the back out completely and used if I'm not mistaken 'Gorilla Glue'. We routed out where the frame was to go and just glued it in and it all became one solid piece. Also, instead of using an 10' piece and then a 1' piece, we made the seem in the direct middle of the board. From the other side, you could barely tell what we used for bracing as it all became one within the panel.

SignManiac

You have no choice but to get creative. I do it all the time. First, rule out whether or not it "has" to be HDU. There are other materials that can be used to produce a beautiful dimensional sign.

Clever use of panels can hide seams. Expert glue up and finishing can produce an invisible seam. You can also cover seams with synthetic stucco. I like problems like this because if forces you to think outside the box which generally leads to a better looking, unique sign.

petrosgraphics

we have used 1/2" mdo on the back, 3/4" mdo , and dibond.... need more info on where it will be going.... have always used gorilla glue, never a problem... signs have been up
for a number of years... i feel it has been time tested.....

when we blast HDU we try not to put any glue on the butt joint... it does not blast

very well.......it tends to be harder than the foam so it really shows......

luggnut

sign pic

here is one sign i'm quoting it is supposed to be 4' x 10.5' the other is a rectangle 3x11...

if i can't hide a seam i think i may try to convince them to go with 10ft (if they make 10ft HDU) they would like a sandblasted sign so HDU may be my only choice.

Attachments

• ALEX CITY MAIN STREET SIGN 2.jpg
    ALEX CITY MAIN STREET SIGN 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 133

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the glue joints, we always go back in with a knife or chisel and take the glue joint down to where it looks good. No one ever sees that part afterward.