• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12 color?

JoshLoring

Any large format printers in the 54-60" range support 12 colors like some of these photo printers do?
Been doing some high end work and would love to offer the extra gamut to my clients.

cdiesel

There are a couple of Epsons that have huge gamut, great dot size, and aren't super expensive. Don't remember the model number of the one I was looking at in New Orleans, but it did a beautiful job with the backlits they had on display. I believe it was a 60" model in the ~$10k range.

JoshLoring

Dang Chris! Good find! Great price too. Odd to see a printer with 3 black cartridges.
Did you see the GS6000 live? It's got a orange and green cartridge. I bet you can hit some fluorescents with that thing.

signswi

The Epson 11880 is an aqueous printer, I think Josh is looking for solvent, uv or latex. Only one I know of on the market is the 8 color Epson ecosolvent GS6000, as mentioned.

Josh if you are looking for a 12 color aqueous the Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9100 is your best bet.

cdiesel

I've seen the GS6000 before.. not impressed. It's a solvent machine so you're going to be limited in the gamut by that. On the other hand, the printer I referenced above is water based, which means wider gamut, but you're not going to be printing outdoor durable prints with it.

JoshLoring

Definitely want something that's great for long term outdoors. I think a solvent or latex might be best, although for sakes of 100% consistent color consistency I might lean to sticking with solvent. I've found with my Roland I can print a file today- install it, leave it 3 years and come back with a reprint and match exactly without adjusting the original file.

I wish somebody made a 12 color solvent :(

HulkSmash

Definitely want something that's great for long term outdoors. I think a solvent or latex might be best, although for sakes of 100% consistent color consistency I might lean to sticking with solvent. I've found with my Roland I can print a file today- install it, leave it 3 years and come back with a reprint and match exactly without adjusting the original file.

I wish somebody made a 12 color solvent :(

I've seen the gs6k. In my opinion has the best color of all the solvents. I would never buy one.. it's far from a work horse.. if you're going to be using it for just high end photo prints.. it should be fine... But they're having issues with yellow, green, and orange lasting out doors for a long period of time.

JoshLoring

cdiesel said:
If you want gamut and flexibility, don't go UV!

Haha! Well, if I can't have a 12 color outdoor printer. I think I want something I can play with lol.
I'll play the what can my uv print on game. I'll probably end up with a bunch of iPhone cases and no profit. Lol

Your great Chris! Thanks for the tips!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I am very happy with the colors from the 8-color GS6000 here.
Haven't had any issues with fading on anything (yet?), we've had it for around a year and a half. There are a few quirks that I wish were dealt with differently, but otherwise the colors that come out of it are pretty friggin' nice.

I'll take a picture of a wall we wrapped here with some vibrant colors & upload it in a minute or so.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Here are some pics I just took, the lighting SUCKS for photography in here...
It hits VERY close to spot colors with the 8 colors, and if I did better work on the profiling end it would probably be even closer.

Attachments

• wallvinyl 001.jpg
    wallvinyl 001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 69
  • wallvinyl 002.jpg
    wallvinyl 002.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 119
  • wallvinyl 004.jpg
    wallvinyl 004.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 82
  • wallvinyl2.jpg
    wallvinyl2.jpg