• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 1Shot Paint Alternatives

Dog5point0

Hello All,

This is my first post here, long time lurker lol. I have been making dimensional signs for years and have always used 1Shot Lettering Enamel paints. Recently with all the craziness in the world 1Shot has been VERY hard to come by, I have searched all over for a reliable supplier of this paint and have had no luck.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative to 1shot paints for hand lettering on HDU signs?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I use artists acrylic (tube) for small dimensional signs (usually Golden brand) and liquid acrylic for larger signs. I'm usually painting over a latex base coat You need to know your colors and make sure you get opaque colors (and/or mix with white or other opaque colors). For flat painted graphics and murals I use Novacolor Acrylics.

These artists acrylics are thick and cover well. They are a delight to paint pictorials with. What they do not do well is classic one-stroke lettering; for that you will need to stick with One-Shot or Ronan lettering enamels.

Note: my latex and acrylic painted signs have lasted over 15 years. Over a properly prepared surface these colors do not have the same problems associated with alkyd top-coats. The films are more flexible and resist chalking and cracking. Most artists acrylics are also incredibly lightfast (with notable exceptions, such as alizarin crimson and fugative bitumin colors, which is clearly stated on the label). Again, these are not expressly formulated as outdoor sign paints. Some are solidly opaque and others are translucent. They can perform remarkably in outdoor sign applications, but for best results you need to understand your colors.

visual800

You should have already thrown the one shot away. Go with latex paints. you will get better lifespan using those as compared to one shot
I use BEHR paints for all of my painting, exterior satin